5420 clutch problems

/ 5420 clutch problems #1  

CameronPhillips

Tractor
John Deere 5420
Hey there guys I have a jd 5420. I have an issue currently where when the machine is on and the clutch is depressed it will not allow it to go into gear. It will slightly move but never pop into gear. I've searched everywhere and can't find anything related. Jd wants 95 an hour to come look at it. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

/ 5420 clutch problems #2  
Have you checked the clutch pedal free travel adjustment as discussed in the operators manual?

/ 5420 clutch problems #4  
Do you have a Hydraulic reverser? Will the PTO engage? (PTO is part of the clutch)

/ 5420 clutch problems
PTO will not engage. Before this happened when you would try to engage the PTO it would just barely turn so you would have to depress then release the clutch again to get it to kick in.

/ 5420 clutch problems #6  
Okay on PTO ... Hydraulic reverser?

/ 5420 clutch problems #8  
PTO will not engage. Before this happened when you would try to engage the PTO it would just barely turn so you would have to depress then release the clutch again to get it to kick in.

From the sound of this and with free travel to specs, it sounds like tractor will need to be split and repair/replace clutch assembly. If foot clutch has effect on pto, it sounds like clutch assembly is binding internally. Probably rusted up due to moisture/condensation in clutch housing. We see this problem pretty frequently here in the humid mid atlantic region. Especially if tractor sits for extended periods of time. Clutch disk may be rusted tight to the pressure plate.

/ 5420 clutch problems #9  
We have a 5420 with the power reverser tranny. It is a 4 speed with A,B &C ranges. It is almost 12 years old, but only has maybe 500 hours on it. So far so good with the clutch. With this type of tranny, you can move the reverser lever from forward to reverse without depressing the clutch. I only use it when in slower gears as I can tell it really has to work the clutch hard when you do it faster than maybe 6-8 mph.

How many hours do you have on your tractor? What do you use it for?

Keep us posted on what it takes to fix it if you can.

/ 5420 clutch problems #10  
is it a power reverser? does the pto freewheel when the motors running?did the pto work?