2955's Topless Now Questions

/ 2955's Topless Now Questions #1  

North Maine

Tractor
JD 2955 MWFD & JD 3020 Diesel
Hey guys we've got my 2955's cab off to fix a broken shifting linkage and we're thinking of replacing the clutch since its the original and I'm at 4600 hrs and we've found that the hand brake is all burnt to sh** so I have to change that out too. My questions are:

For the clutch what needs to be changed out? JD parts lists to different clutch disks; AL70272 & AL69935, plus the clutch itself AL68485. The throw-out bearing is AL120028.

For changing out the hand brake band can we wiggle that out as-is without pulling apart the left planetary?

Anything else we should check while we have it apart this far?

/ 2955's Topless Now Questions #2  
The clutch disk is kind of personal preference. The AL70272 is the factory style and is considered "heavy duty". The AL69935 is "regular duty". Personally, I like the regular duty. It is smoother operating, less jerky in operation. WIth a good operator, it lasts just as long and it is less aggressive on the pressure plate and flywheel surfaces. I would plan on sending the flywheel to machine shop to be resurfaced. Also plan to replace the pilot bearing. Part number JD10107. If you choose the heavy duty clutch, there is a part number that includes the disk and pressure plate in one box. AL64948 is a "kit" that includes AL70272 and AL68485 in one box. The kit saves you a few bucks.

The brake band can only be changed after removing the left final drive. A pin needs to be removed that is only accessible from the left final drive area. Even then it can be a pain in the butt, but while cab is off it would be foolish not to replace it. Hopefully the drum that the brake rides in is not destroyed. That requires removing both final drives and differential to replace.

Personally, I would replace orings and seals in rockshaft(three point) valve while it is off. Pretty easy to do and costs only a few dollars in parts.

What did you find in the shift linkage?

/ 2955's Topless Now Questions
CM_0038.jpg

That's AL55218… $365 dollar piece of tin.

Strange on the clutches… AL70272 is cheaper than AL69935.

Last edited:
   / 2955's Topless Now Questions #4  
Here's clutch & PP from A&I plus they also offer pilot & TO brgs

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 238
   / 2955's Topless Now Questions #5  
That's AL55218… $365 dollar piece of tin.

Strange on the clutches… AL70272 is cheaper than AL69935.
A
Where did you get a price of $365 for AL55218? Here's my dealers price: AL55218 Shaft ADD 458.89 USD

/ 2955's Topless Now Questions #7  
My buddy had to split his 3155 because of the hydraulic pump that feeds the main pump. If yours has that, I would recommend changing it. Symptoms are that your steering and hydraulics get weak when fluid gets hot.

/ 2955's Topless Now Questions
My buddy had to split his 3155 because of the hydraulic pump that feeds the main pump. If yours has that, I would recommend changing it. Symptoms are that your steering and hydraulics get weak when fluid gets hot.

I think its a similar system (if not identical) on the 2955. I was worried that one might be an issue later.

/ 2955's Topless Now Questions #10  
I think its a similar system (if not identical) on the 2955. I was worried that one might be an issue later.
The 2955 does have the same transmission pump setup. I can't say I would recommend replacing it if you have no symptoms. Those pumps are pretty reliable. The pressure line from that pump has been known to break though. If you decide to make the extra split(between clutch housing and transmission) be sure to check the pressure pipe and elbow at the pump. There has been an upgraded line, fitting and clamp that takes the stress off of the line that was causing it to fail. Not sure, but all the 55 series may have the better line. I think the 50 series were the ones with problems in that area.