I need some serious help !

/ I need some serious help ! #1  

Uncle Levi

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2020
I have a JD 2020 that overheats after about 20-25 minutes. I'm running a 6' finish mower behind it and have a loader on it. The gauge is good--it's definitely overheating. I have replaced the radiator, water pump and the thermostat (which is installed right) and the belt is tight and just a couple days ago, just to be sure, I flushed the radiator and block and refilled it with 50/50 antifreeze mix. It's still overheating. I'm plumb out of ideas. I'd appreciate ANY input. I'm about ready to cut this thing up for scrap !

Edit-- I let it cool down and just took the side screens off and ran it. Still heats up, but it feels like the fan is blowing FORWARD. Even though the radiator is behind the gas tank, that seems BACKWARDS to me.

Last edited:
   / I need some serious help ! #2  
Edit: Put your thermostat in a pot of hot water with a thermometer and see what temperature it opens at
Have you cleaned out the dirt, etc in the fins of the radiator? We have done that and were shocked at how much junk came out of those fins (even though it looked pretty clean).
I would start with air, then a water hose, then finish it off with Air Conditioner Coil Cleaner.

Aaron Z

Last edited:
   / I need some serious help ! #3  
If memory serves it should pull air thru not push it out, how long has it been running hot ? Did you run a hose with cold water thru the system when the radiator was out ?

/ I need some serious help ! #4  
Possible bad thermostat. You said you replaced it, but may have been a bad new part.

/ I need some serious help ! #5  
Do you have bubbles in the radiator?

Maybe blown head gasket.

/ I need some serious help ! #6  
The fan should definitely pull air from in front of the radiator, through the radiator and towards the rear. With engine at full throttle, if you place your hand in front of the radiator, you should feel a strong suction through the radiator. If not, you have a bent fan, incorrect fan, dirty radiator fins, or a slipping fan belt.

/ I need some serious help ! #7  
sounds like you have the fan blade reversed the fan should pull air thru the radiator not push air forward

/ I need some serious help ! #8  
Ditto on fan pulling air back towards engine

/ I need some serious help ! #9  
Dont quote me but I think the 2020's had a head gasket issue.

/ I need some serious help ! #10  
thermostat as others have said...

goto John Deere Home Page Redirect
pick country / language
click "parts" across top
click agriculture parts (link up to this point) Agricultural Parts JohnDeere.ca
click "search parts"

type in 2020 click find
click plus sign beside 971 - 2020 Tractor - 16May11
click "alphabetical index"
click "R"
click "radiator"

i am showing a engine radiator in front, and oil cooler behind that, and then main engine fan.
i am also seeing some "foam pads" unsure if they are support rubber, so vibrations don't damage the radiator, and oil cooler (radiator but for hyd oil) if if they are an actual filter of some sort (most likely foam blocks for vibration could be wrong)

you may need to take off hood to get to oil cooler. or you might be able to undo bolts on front to remove grill then a couple bolts on front engine radiator, so it swings down to get to hyd oil cooler. or *cross fingers* there is an access panel on the side, you can remove easily to get access to the hyd oil cooler to blow all the crud out of it.

==============
you also mention you flushed the radiator block. double check fluids afterwards, to make sure all the air pockets have been removed after the engine ran to point thermostat opened up. 5 to 20 minutes pending on RPM's / load on tractor. "assuming thermostat is not bad"

feel of wind can be mis leading. get a generic lighter (for cigars, cigarettes, lighting up BBQ, lighting a fire etc..) and place in front of grill. and see which way the flame bends, (direction of air flow)