JD-850 FUEL Return

/ JD-850 FUEL Return #1  

DogDiesel

Tractor
JD 850 4x4
85 JD-850 4x4. Yanmar 3T80J engine. Previous owner say he had the injector pump rebuilt and geadgasket replaced.
Background. Tractor would not run when I got it, PO thought it was a compression issue. Cranked but would not start. After I replaced every rubber fuel line, and bled the system, it bleeds off and runs. Some of the rubber had green paint on it, and the PO owned it for 23 years. The rubber fuel lines were leaking and not sealing correctly.

Today's problem: Absolutely NO FUEL ever runs out of the return line to the fuel tank. I get fuel if I bleed the injectors, not a gush, but it bleeds and starts. I pulled the return line from the tank, filled the line with diesel, filling the thermostart reservoir. Presurized the system. Previously, it would run, but never fill the reservoir. Starts every time, after sitting. It is bled. I presurized the tank at the return line, and no weaps or leaks. Tractor runs smooth and fairly strong. I rototilled my garden as a test with a 72" Kingcutter rotortiller, and it would get down 8 inches, but I was working it. Tends to droop in teen RPMs under moderate load, works strong near full throttle.

Question: I should get fuel return back to the tank, right?

Wayne

/ JD-850 FUEL Return #2  
On my 850 it only has return fuel to the reservoir when you use the foot throttle, rev it up and back off, you will get a small amount of fuel to the reservoir not steady.

/ JD-850 FUEL Return #3  
Rebuilt my 950, almost the same tractor. The fuel return gets very little flow on these, even with a new fuel pump. If you have all the air out of the system and no air leaks in the fuel supply lines or filter, it should run fine. Make sure the fuel filter is clean or just change out for a new filter. When rebuilding my 950 I noticed that the fuel delivery to the injectors was weak when bleeding air from the lines at the injectors connecting lines top of the motor. Ended up getting a new pump from Hoye Tractor and that more than doubled the fuel delivered. You could have a tired pump. Hoye sold a aftermarket pump quite reasonably ($500 or so ) when John Deere wanted almost twice that. Diamond Diesel, who rebuilds diesel fuel pumps, said that it would cost more to rebuild my pump than buy a new one for a pump that small. Even with a new pump, flow coming from the return was very little, old pump was none at all. You could end up needing a new pump, if so, I'd give Hoye a call.
Chris

/ JD-850 FUEL Return
My tractor is fixed. Runs strong. StartStart EZ. Just seemed like too little return fuel.
Wayne
Rebuilt my 950, almost the same tractor. The fuel return gets very little flow on these, even with a new fuel pump. If you have all the air out of the system and no air leaks in the fuel supply lines or filter, it should run fine. Make sure the fuel filter is clean or just change out for a new filter. When rebuilding my 950 I noticed that the fuel delivery to the injectors was weak when bleeding air from the lines at the injectors connecting lines top of the motor. Ended up getting a new pump from Hoye Tractor and that more than doubled the fuel delivered. You could have a tired pump. Hoye sold a aftermarket pump quite reasonably ($500 or so ) when John Deere wanted almost twice that. Diamond Diesel, who rebuilds diesel fuel pumps, said that it would cost more to rebuild my pump than buy a new one for a pump that small. Even with a new pump, flow coming from the return was very little, old pump was none at all. You could end up needing a new pump, if so, I'd give Hoye a call.
Chris

/ JD-850 FUEL Return #5  
My tractor is fixed. Runs strong. StartStart EZ. Just seemed like too little return fuel.
Wayne
hello I just signed to this site I have an older 850 I'm glad to know they dont have a lot of return because I thought I had a problem. the problem I do have is that there is fuel leaking from the intake where it bolts to the head. when I crack the lines to a the inj there is noticeable rpm lose which is good, any thoughts before I start to take it apart/

thanks jim

/ JD-850 FUEL Return #6  
hello I just signed to this site I have an older 850 I'm glad to know they dont have a lot of return because I thought I had a problem. the problem I do have is that there is fuel leaking from the intake where it bolts to the head. when I crack the lines to a the inj there is noticeable rpm lose which is good, any thoughts before I start to take it apart/

thanks jim

Did you try to tighten the bolts? If fuel is leaking out,then dirt can get sucked in.The thermo-start is probably leaking fuel into the manifold,and will probably need to be replaced.

/ JD-850 FUEL Return #7  
I didn't tighten anything yet .There shouldn't be any fuel in the intake unless you us the cold start right? I also have a new gasket on order and I will also get the cold start coil. thanks for the reply I need to get more wood out yet.

/ JD-850 FUEL Return #8  
Right.John Deere wants $141.08 for the thermo-start(CH14079) ,but you can get it from HoyeTractor.com for $44.95(TS-1)

/ JD-850 FUEL Return
John Deere has priced themselves out of my business, and based on your quotes yours also.
When I get this JD-850 painted and near 100%, it is gone, cause "Green" is too expensive to operate on my farm.

The only "Green" I will keep on my farm is a Gator 6x4.

Right.John Deere wants $141.08 for the thermo-start(CH14079) ,but you can get it from HoyeTractor.com for $44.95(TS-1)

/ JD-850 FUEL Return #10  
I guess the high priced Deere parts thing cuts both ways. I have lots of neighbors with tractors and it seams some price their parts much cheaper, but in the end they always seam to end up with more problems needing more replacement parts. Had a Yanmar, it was a very reliable tractor, and when it did need parts, they were much cheaper than Deere parts. Trouble was, even Hoye tractor, the parts supplier couldn't get every part, some things just weren't available for any price. Deere, even though expensive, has never failed to have something I need be available. What I'm talking about here is product support, some just don't have it, some do. I'm sure the price for maintaining that availability is passed on to the customers in the price of the parts as well as some price gouging. That 850 was a very reliable tractor in it's time, and still should be in good condition. but only you know what it's been through in it's service life. Might want to give a good look at what the replacement will cost before making that decision.
Chris