Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4
    Location
    Lunenburg, VA
    Tractor
    JD 850 4x4

    Default JD-850 FUEL Return

    85 JD-850 4x4. Yanmar 3T80J engine. Previous owner say he had the injector pump rebuilt and geadgasket replaced.
    Background. Tractor would not run when I got it, PO thought it was a compression issue. Cranked but would not start. After I replaced every rubber fuel line, and bled the system, it bleeds off and runs. Some of the rubber had green paint on it, and the PO owned it for 23 years. The rubber fuel lines were leaking and not sealing correctly.

    Today's problem: Absolutely NO FUEL ever runs out of the return line to the fuel tank. I get fuel if I bleed the injectors, not a gush, but it bleeds and starts. I pulled the return line from the tank, filled the line with diesel, filling the thermostart reservoir. Presurized the system. Previously, it would run, but never fill the reservoir. Starts every time, after sitting. It is bled. I presurized the tank at the return line, and no weaps or leaks. Tractor runs smooth and fairly strong. I rototilled my garden as a test with a 72" Kingcutter rotortiller, and it would get down 8 inches, but I was working it. Tends to droop in teen RPMs under moderate load, works strong near full throttle.

    Question: I should get fuel return back to the tank, right?

    Wayne

  2. #2
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    224
    Location
    Western,MA
    Tractor
    JD 850, L130, 317

    Default Re: JD-850 FUEL Return

    On my 850 it only has return fuel to the reservoir when you use the foot throttle, rev it up and back off, you will get a small amount of fuel to the reservoir not steady.

  3. #3
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    354
    Location
    Nevada
    Tractor
    John Deere 970TLB, John Deere 125 automatic

    Default Re: JD-850 FUEL Return

    Rebuilt my 950, almost the same tractor. The fuel return gets very little flow on these, even with a new fuel pump. If you have all the air out of the system and no air leaks in the fuel supply lines or filter, it should run fine. Make sure the fuel filter is clean or just change out for a new filter. When rebuilding my 950 I noticed that the fuel delivery to the injectors was weak when bleeding air from the lines at the injectors connecting lines top of the motor. Ended up getting a new pump from Hoye Tractor and that more than doubled the fuel delivered. You could have a tired pump. Hoye sold a aftermarket pump quite reasonably ($500 or so ) when John Deere wanted almost twice that. Diamond Diesel, who rebuilds diesel fuel pumps, said that it would cost more to rebuild my pump than buy a new one for a pump that small. Even with a new pump, flow coming from the return was very little, old pump was none at all. You could end up needing a new pump, if so, I'd give Hoye a call.
    Chris

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4
    Location
    Lunenburg, VA
    Tractor
    JD 850 4x4

    Default Re: JD-850 FUEL Return

    My tractor is fixed. Runs strong. StartStart EZ. Just seemed like too little return fuel.
    Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by chriswheeler View Post
    Rebuilt my 950, almost the same tractor. The fuel return gets very little flow on these, even with a new fuel pump. If you have all the air out of the system and no air leaks in the fuel supply lines or filter, it should run fine. Make sure the fuel filter is clean or just change out for a new filter. When rebuilding my 950 I noticed that the fuel delivery to the injectors was weak when bleeding air from the lines at the injectors connecting lines top of the motor. Ended up getting a new pump from Hoye Tractor and that more than doubled the fuel delivered. You could have a tired pump. Hoye sold a aftermarket pump quite reasonably ($500 or so ) when John Deere wanted almost twice that. Diamond Diesel, who rebuilds diesel fuel pumps, said that it would cost more to rebuild my pump than buy a new one for a pump that small. Even with a new pump, flow coming from the return was very little, old pump was none at all. You could end up needing a new pump, if so, I'd give Hoye a call.
    Chris

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4
    Location
    ny
    Tractor
    88 850jd 1969 jd 3020, 1970 426 IH, 1969 ford 4500 BH

    Default Re: JD-850 FUEL Return

    Quote Originally Posted by DogDiesel View Post
    My tractor is fixed. Runs strong. StartStart EZ. Just seemed like too little return fuel.
    Wayne
    hello I just signed to this site I have an older 850 I'm glad to know they dont have a lot of return because I thought I had a problem. the problem I do have is that there is fuel leaking from the intake where it bolts to the head. when I crack the lines to a the inj there is noticeable rpm lose which is good, any thoughts before I start to take it apart/

    thanks jim

  6. #6
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    373
    Location
    NKY
    Tractor
    Yanmar YM186d,John Deere 1050, Case 211B

    Default Re: JD-850 FUEL Return

    Quote Originally Posted by greenj1959 View Post
    hello I just signed to this site I have an older 850 I'm glad to know they dont have a lot of return because I thought I had a problem. the problem I do have is that there is fuel leaking from the intake where it bolts to the head. when I crack the lines to a the inj there is noticeable rpm lose which is good, any thoughts before I start to take it apart/

    thanks jim
    Did you try to tighten the bolts? If fuel is leaking out,then dirt can get sucked in.The thermo-start is probably leaking fuel into the manifold,and will probably need to be replaced.
    JD1050,YM186D,Case211B,Homemade- sawmill & log splitter & log hauling arch trailer
    JD14T,Ford 532 balers,
    AC 80-R3,Ford 501 sickle mowers
    2.1 KW Off-grid Solar System and growing

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4
    Location
    ny
    Tractor
    88 850jd 1969 jd 3020, 1970 426 IH, 1969 ford 4500 BH

    Default Re: JD-850 FUEL Return

    I didn't tighten anything yet .There shouldn't be any fuel in the intake unless you us the cold start right? I also have a new gasket on order and I will also get the cold start coil. thanks for the reply I need to get more wood out yet.

  8. #8
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    373
    Location
    NKY
    Tractor
    Yanmar YM186d,John Deere 1050, Case 211B

    Default Re: JD-850 FUEL Return

    Right.John Deere wants $141.08 for the thermo-start(CH14079) ,but you can get it from HoyeTractor.com for $44.95(TS-1)
    JD1050,YM186D,Case211B,Homemade- sawmill & log splitter & log hauling arch trailer
    JD14T,Ford 532 balers,
    AC 80-R3,Ford 501 sickle mowers
    2.1 KW Off-grid Solar System and growing

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4
    Location
    Lunenburg, VA
    Tractor
    JD 850 4x4

    Default Re: JD-850 FUEL Return

    John Deere has priced themselves out of my business, and based on your quotes yours also.
    When I get this JD-850 painted and near 100%, it is gone, cause "Green" is too expensive to operate on my farm.

    The only "Green" I will keep on my farm is a Gator 6x4.


    Quote Originally Posted by Barry 1 View Post
    Right.John Deere wants $141.08 for the thermo-start(CH14079) ,but you can get it from HoyeTractor.com for $44.95(TS-1)

  10. #10
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    354
    Location
    Nevada
    Tractor
    John Deere 970TLB, John Deere 125 automatic

    Default Re: JD-850 FUEL Return

    I guess the high priced Deere parts thing cuts both ways. I have lots of neighbors with tractors and it seams some price their parts much cheaper, but in the end they always seam to end up with more problems needing more replacement parts. Had a Yanmar, it was a very reliable tractor, and when it did need parts, they were much cheaper than Deere parts. Trouble was, even Hoye tractor, the parts supplier couldn't get every part, some things just weren't available for any price. Deere, even though expensive, has never failed to have something I need be available. What I'm talking about here is product support, some just don't have it, some do. I'm sure the price for maintaining that availability is passed on to the customers in the price of the parts as well as some price gouging. That 850 was a very reliable tractor in it's time, and still should be in good condition. but only you know what it's been through in it's service life. Might want to give a good look at what the replacement will cost before making that decision.
    Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Fuel return question
    By xwrench in forum Yanmar
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-27-2014, 03:27 PM
  2. Fuel return?
    By cheoah in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-22-2013, 06:09 PM
  3. Fuel Return loom fails
    By woodlandfarms in forum Power Trac
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-21-2011, 01:48 PM
  4. Oil & Fuel return fuel line
    By jbrd in forum Yanmar
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-26-2010, 02:12 PM
  5. Oil & Fuel fuel return line ?
    By darwyns in forum Yanmar
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2007, 08:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.