jd 2950 a/c belt issues

/ jd 2950 a/c belt issues #1  

cbailey1956

Bronze Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers B, Komatsu D31, Case 585
Hello to all. Have been working with my friend on his 2950. In the past couple years he has been through 3 belts on his A/C compressor. Looked at the setup with him. All alignment issues are good. Tension appears to be tighter than I would normally run a belt. When A/C is engaged at idle the belt slaps back and forth over an inch. I noticed the length of the belt as it runs from the top of the engine all the way down to the bottom pulley. Almost 18-20 inches with no idler or tensioner to help control tension. The water pump has one groove only and the A/C belt runs in front of it. It seems to me a 2 groove pulley should be on the water pump to run the A/C belt around which would support the belt midrange. The current owner has owned it only a couple of years and does not know history. If anyone could tell me if they have this setup is there a two groove pulley on their water pump. Parts pictures have not answered this for me nor has a call to the JD dealer parts. I had serviced the A/C last year and the comp pressures are normal and rechecked last week with no high pressures to overwork the comp, A/C works great as long as the belt will stay on the pulleys. Using JD belts also. Thanks. Craig

/ jd 2950 a/c belt issues #2  
All 2950's have same setup you have and I have not heard of any recurring problems in this area. How is the crankshaft pulley? It is a damper pulley and the rubber in it could be going bad causing wobble of pulley. Also, is he keeping radiator and condensor clean always to keep pressures consistently normal?