starter issue i think

/ starter issue i think #1  

gmoorefield

Tractor
85 1050 john deere
have a 85 1050. starter always turns engine over first thing in the morning or any time it sits and completely cools off, but seems as though whenever engine has been running and I shut it down and try to restart the starter makes a clunk sound when you let off key from start position. sometimes after several tries it will go, and sometimes not. sometimes if you peck on silanoid with a hammer it will go and sometimes not. Havent pinned down a certain situation yet, could all be coinsadents. Voltage seems to be ok. I checked it when it wouldn't turn and it was still on 12v. Has anyone else had this problem?

/ starter issue i think #2  
If you like fixing things and are frugal then take the solenoid apart and shine up the disc and contacts inside. If they are badly pitted then replace them. You might have to replace the whole solenoid. If you don't feel like taking the starter apart then take it off and have automotive electrical repair shop fix it. There are new starters available on eBay for around $100. You can go that way too if you don't mind the fact that the starters come from China.

/ starter issue i think
thanks for the reply. The older I get the less I like working on vehicles. It never goes as planned. probably let auto shop take care of it or just replace solenoid. Was just wondering if I was looking in the right direction. Thanks again.

/ starter issue i think #4  
I have a 1990 Cummins that had the same issue only the opposite. The first start of the day was always the challenge. After that it would always start. I even ran a separate starter button as direct 12 volts seemed the help. I had the starter rebuilt numerous times and always the same issue after about a year. I replaced the solenoid contactors myself a few times. In fact I could do it standing on my head in the engine compartment with out removing the starter. Finally just replaced the starter with an spare that I had laying around and haven't had any problems since. Good luck.

/ starter issue i think #5  
Go to your JD dealer and ask for a starter relay kit. It is very easy to install. This will provide a full 12 volts at trigger wire and eliminate any loss through ignition switch and wiring. This is a common problem on all Deere models. Compacts and lawn tractors get the relay kit, farm tractors get a Ford style round solenoid to fix the problem.