John Deere 5520: No fuel coming out of injection pump

/ John Deere 5520: No fuel coming out of injection pump #1  

vealsff

Tractor
5520 john deere
john deere 5520 no fuel coming out of injection pump fuel getting to pump ok i disconnected one line at a time from back of injection pump no fuel. disconnected fuel line from injectors one line at a time no fuel. im at a crossroad. tell me it,s not the injection pump

/ John Deere 5520: No fuel coming out of injection pump #2  
Is fuel solenoid on inj pump clicking when ign switch is turned to on?

/ John Deere 5520: No fuel coming out of injection pump #3  
Have you checked all the fuses? Is the 20 amp fuse for the fuel solenoid good? I have included a link to your operators manual.

If fuel solenoid fuse is blown, I believe the problem is the thermistor sensor (thermistors are temperature variable resistors used as sensors.). On the thermostat housing there is a sensor that is connected to a two wire harness that goes to the injection pump; this is the "cold start advance" portion of the system so it starts easier when cold by advancing the timing.

When the sensor on the thermostat housing fails it shorts out and blows the fuel solenoid fuse. Try unplugging it, replace fuse and see if it starts and runs. The part # is RE503242, if you are quick changing it, you don't have to drain the coolant, just make sure it's not hot at the time. You will want a pan under the tractor to catch the coolant, so as not too have to clean it up.

http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMRE199128_19/?tM=FR

Last edited:
   / John Deere 5520: No fuel coming out of injection pump
let me start at the begining. when i noticed a problem it would not get over 1000 rpm. i drained tank, replaced all fuel lines, all filters primed all lines until no air bubbles were coming out of fuel injection pump. crank engine wouldn,t start. turned key off. cranked engine started, couldn,t get any rpm. engine died. turn key off.cranked engine startes no rpm.cranked engine started no rpm. mashed throttle engined died.turn key off. cranked engine started no rpm but would run at idle pumped primer button engine would not rev up.let set for an hour or two.cranked engine started no rpm. cracked fuel injection lines until misfire. engine rpm increased but would not get over 1000 rmp. it would set there and idle.turn key off. cranked engine,would not start. checked fuel filter full of fuel. checked injector pump full of fuel. checked fuelfrom injector pump no fuel.checked for fuel at injectors no fuel. fuel filter and injector pump full of fuel. won,t start

/ John Deere 5520: No fuel coming out of injection pump #5  
I see you replaced your fuel lines already. We had trouble with ours and it was the fuel lines.

I'm guessing You have taken apart the primer button pump and cleaned it out. How many hours does your machine have?

What were you doing when it started running only 1000rpm? I can't think of anything other than a clog or air in the lines.

Here is the text from the Deere owners manual.

IMPORTANT: To avoid injection pump damage, DO NOT attempt to start the engine while bleeding the fuel system.

1. Fuel tank must be full of fuel with the fuel shut-off valve open.

2. Loosen fuel return line (A). Loosen filter base bleed screw (D). Push priming pump (C) until fuel runs out smoothly without spitting, then tighten bleed screw (D).

3. Loosen injection pump bleed screw (B). Push priming pump (C) until fuel runs out smoothly without spitting, then tighten fuel return line (A) and bleed screw (B).

A-Fuel Return Line
B-Bleed Screw
C-Priming Pump
D-Bleed Screw

/ John Deere 5520: No fuel coming out of injection pump #6  
This sounds typical for plugged check ball in fitting on inj pump that return line attaches, With engine running check to see if excess fuel is returning to tank.

/ John Deere 5520: No fuel coming out of injection pump #7  
I see you replaced your fuel lines already. We had trouble with ours and it was the fuel lines.

Here is the text from the Deere owners manual.

IMPORTANT: To avoid injection pump damage, DO NOT attempt to start the engine while bleeding the fuel system.

Kyle
If opening bleeder screw while attempting to start engine could damage pump I wonder what would happen to inj pump if one ran out of fuel?

/ John Deere 5520: No fuel coming out of injection pump #8  
Kyle
If opening bleeder screw while attempting to start engine could damage pump I wonder what would happen to inj pump if one ran out of fuel?
My guess is they are worried about it running dry and galling the pump's cylinders.

/ John Deere 5520: No fuel coming out of injection pump #9  
Sounds like a bad fuel solenoid

/ John Deere 5520: No fuel coming out of injection pump #10  
My guess is they are worried about it running dry and galling the pump's cylinders.

Rotary inj pump such as 5520 has no cylinders to gall.

Attachments

• 0000432655____________A1.gif
    0000432655____________A1.gif
    21.2 KB · Views: 8,061