2955 crankcase FULL of diesel

/ 2955 crankcase FULL of diesel #1  

North Maine

Tractor
JD 2955 MWFD & JD 3020 Diesel
My 2955 sprang a rear main seal leak in the field while haying so it was shut down and has sat for about two months while we finished out the season without it. Yesterday we went to bring it back to the shop and when checking the oil level a geyser or diesel fuel/motor oil mix came out of the dip stick tube draining at least a gallon from the dip stick. The fuel level in the tank was about 3/4 when it parked so I figured the head pressure is what pushed the fuel into the crankcase but I don't know from WHERE?!? Our thoughts are leaning towards the mechanical fuel pump on the intake side of the engine next to the dipstick and the oil filter. The other option is the injector pump flowing through and an injector leaking all that diesel through but I just don't see that as being realistic. Anyone have any ideas??

/ 2955 crankcase FULL of diesel #2  
I'll agree with you. Check lift pump 1st then if that's not the problem inj pump seals. I've never seen a bad injector fill up crankcase with fuel.

/ 2955 crankcase FULL of diesel #3  
Just an update:

Ended up being the hub seal on the CAV injection pump. Pulled her off and spun her by hand and observed a definitive leak past the lip seal. Replaced the seal (and the lift pump for good measure) and she's good to go.

/ 2955 crankcase FULL of diesel #4  
Good to hear back how you solved the problem. :thumbsup: