John Deere 6105 D or 6115 D

/ John Deere 6105 D or 6115 D #1  

vhorn4

Tractor
John Deere
Can any of you that own or operate the John Deere 6105 D or 6115 D please share your experiences? I'm going to primarily use it to pull a 15' batwing mower, but also use it for all things on a 700 acre farm with mostly CRP ground. I'm considering that model, but I want to know what others think about the performance of the D series tractors.

Would this tractor pull a 21' International 490 disc? I currently pull that disc with my JD 4440.

Thanks,
VHORN4

/ John Deere 6105 D or 6115 D #2  
:welcome:
To the forum from Alabama. That's an 105hp tractor so I would guess it would as the 4440 is only 112hp.

/ John Deere 6105 D or 6115 D
mddorange,

Thank you for your response. The 4440 is actually about 140 HP and has duals and weighs approx 14,000 lbs. However, the 4440 is only 2wd, so I can't figure out how much the 4 wd will help. The specs on the 6105 or 6115 shows it at about 9,500 lbs without any extra weight. I plan to put on a FEL and put fluid in the tires also to help. I do hope to hear from those that have been using the 6 D series tractors to see if they're having good service too. I just don't know anyone that has them. The cost is a big factor for me because I don't farm for a living, but I want a new tractor and also hope my 88 year old father will use it some rather than all our 2 cylinders. A cab would be a wonderful investment it seems. :)

Thanks,
VHORN

/ John Deere 6105 D or 6115 D #4  
You would be surprised how much a front wheel assist lets you get away with compared to the hp you needed for a 2wd only machine in the tillage world. Pto hp of the 4440 was originally 130, unless you have had dyno'd is probably closer to that. I would say that mfwd will more than make up for the 35 hp difference, along with the correct ballasting.

/ John Deere 6105 D or 6115 D #5  
I think your going to have to ballast the heck out of it. The M and R tractors have a little longer wheelbase and are a bit heavier I believe. Are hydraulics any concern? I think the D series has a lower flow pump. Will a 9x9 transmission suffice? I don't think a powershift is even an option on them?

/ John Deere 6105 D or 6115 D #6  
You would be surprised how much a front wheel assist lets you get away with compared to the hp you needed for a 2wd only machine in the tillage world. Pto hp of the 4440 was originally 130, unless you have had dyno'd is probably closer to that. I would say that mfwd will more than make up for the 35 hp difference, along with the correct ballasting.

Most JD 40,50 & 55 series tractors put out more HP on a dynomometer than factory stated HP. I'm speaking from experience from being a former JD dealer service manager of that era. 6115D MFWD has a 276 cid(4.5L) engine VS 4440 with a 466(7.6L). Nebraska test shows Drawbar pull (max):9,856 lbs [4470 kg] for 6115D MFWD & Drawbar pull (max)13,738 lbs [6231 kg] for a 4440 2WD. Let me add dual rear wheels to the 4440 and I'll drag the 6115 around the BLOCK

I'm getting mixed reviews on the ability of the 6105 or 6115 to pull the 21' disc. I also agree with you TX Jim that the 4440 would pull the 6115 "around the block." Those older tractors are just so heavy and they have tremendous "lugging" power.

I'll primarily use the 6105/6115 for mowing with the 15' bat wing, but I'd like to be able to pull my disc with it when needed too. I also want to use a 7' tiller with it for food plots, so I'm trying to do as many things as possible with the tractor. It's BIG for the tiller, but I'm hoping it's not too big.

Thanks to all so far,
VHORN4

/ John Deere 6105 D or 6115 D #8  
for what its worth, I have a 5083E and I could pull a 16' JD transport disc in fresh plowed ground. I was not setting any speed records(4-4.5 mph iirc) and I think the disc was setup wrong because I was plowing some dirt over the axle of the front gangs. Having another 20-30 hp and another frame size would have helped out a lot, I don't know that I would be counting on that 6D tractor to have quite enough hp depending on the size of your disc and the soil conditions though if your not in a hurry, I'm sure it will pull it in some gear.

/ John Deere 6105 D or 6115 D #9  
The biggest concern on the earlier 6D's was the limited gear selection transmission. Second biggest concern was the limited hydraulic options available.

That's why they're still on dealer's front rows and very attractively "priced"!

AKfish

AKfish,

A couple of you have asked me about hydraulics....I'm not very knowledgeable about hydraulics at all. What should I be looking for in terms of hydraulics? I run a 15' batwing, 21' disc, 7' tiller, 4 row planter, and 16' cultimulcher primarily. We have several cutters but none will require anything the 15' doesn't. What should I be looking for in terms of hydraulics?

The biggest disadvantage that I can see with these models is the limited transmissions. 9 forward gears is all.

Thanks,
VHORN4