J.D. 1010 w/ "Dash Shift"

/ J.D. 1010 w/ "Dash Shift" #1  

duke7595

Gold Member
Tractor
820 ,1520,1020 (D) 1020 (G) 1050,4020 2240
Can someone tell me if the dash shift 1010 is as reliable as the standard transmission stick shift ? I have a chance to buy one, but I'm not familiar w/ the Dash Shift
and was wondering if J.D. and owners had any problems with them.

/ J.D. 1010 w/ "Dash Shift" #2  
I believe that the transmission is the same, but must have been some different linkage that may have had a problem.
This is a quote from tractordata regards the 1010 transmission dash shift.
Shift lever for the 1010 was originally on the dash. Starting with the 1963 model year (serial number 031001) the shifter was moved to the top of the transmission.

So appears the shifter was put back to where it was on the forerunners to the 1010 i.e. the 430, 420, etc. 2 cyl. tractors. Must have been a new idea that didn't work out for the Dubuque design team.

/ J.D. 1010 w/ "Dash Shift" #3  
I agree on more shifting linkage to wear out. I checked JD parts and some gears are different between the 2 types of shifters.

/ J.D. 1010 w/ "Dash Shift"
I agree on more shifting linkage to wear out. I checked JD parts and some gears are different between the 2 types of shifters.

Thanks for the Input. I tried to locate more on this setup but can't seem to locate very much information, other than, only the early models had the dash shift.
My main point was to learn if they are any good, or should I stay away from it ? I wanted it as a Spring project to restore.

/ J.D. 1010 w/ "Dash Shift" #5  
You can look at the layout of the parts in jdparts.com and see how they linked the dash mount to the tranny.
I've no idea what didn't work if anything. May just have been a Dubuque engineering change back down to the top of the tranny along with some gear changes.
May have been mechanical nightmare.. as they may have tried to copy the new style dash shift that the other 3010, 4010 tractors had coming out of Waterloo at the time.
Restoration may be more unique having that dash shift than without. Hard to say.

/ J.D. 1010 w/ "Dash Shift"
Thanks beenthere, I'll have a look at the layout, and it is a bit unique w/ the dash shift. Thanks, duke

/ J.D. 1010 w/ "Dash Shift" #7  
As I found it, made a pic of it for you and others, if interested in the linkage.

Attachments

• 1010_shifter_dash.jpg
    1010_shifter_dash.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 824