Power Beyond on Dual SCV Valve

/ Power Beyond on Dual SCV Valve #1  

wi4x4man

Tractor
4230 Deere, 4020 Deere, 5400 Deere
Howdy,

Well I am new to this forum, but for a number of years I have been coming here looking at what others have done and it has always seemed to help out. And after scratching my head for about 2 days now, I have decided to see if someone out there can help me out.

Recently I purchased a 1994 John Deere 5400 tractor for the farm to run my square baler. While having 7500 hours on it, it seems to be in extremely good shape and was well taken care of, and it worked perfectly when I coupled it to my 316 New Holland baler and re-baled some hay to see how it would do. I am sure I looked like a real yahoo unrolling a round bale on the driveway, raked it to make a windrow, and then square bale it... especially in the dead of winter with a ton of snow all around on a snow packed driveway.

Anyways, the tractor itself has dual SCV's on it with the cable operated joystick, but it doesn't have a loader. And while the joystick is giving me some grief right now (I was a complete MORON and broke one of the ends on one of the "pistons" :duh: ) I think I have that issue figured out. The question I do have goes like this:

I know that the SCV valve has the capability to have a power beyond arrangement. However, which port does this and what could I use as a return port? I am going to add a solenoid actuated hydraulic valve to the power beyond so that I can run my hay accumulator separate of the SCV spools as I need constant flow to the accumulator. And then I am just going to actuate it by a switch on the dash so I can turn the accumulator on and off.

This being said, does anyone out there know how I can go about doing this? With the SCV system being spring centered with no detent (except on float) those valves are out of the question. Plus I would like to be able to operate other hydraulically driven machines where I need constant flow, without having to use the lousy plastic piston joystick setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

/ Power Beyond on Dual SCV Valve #2  
The best help I can offer is for you to get the service technical manual for your tractor. That will give you the rundown you are looking for.

However, more knowledgeable help may soon be posted for a direct answer. Sounds like a great purchase.

:welcome: to TBN

/ Power Beyond on Dual SCV Valve #3  
Can you show a picture of the valve.

PB port usually is in the center of the valve.

Your PB adapter will look something like this.

Either a PB adapter fitting, or a hex screw that is installed inside one of the ports.

Can you not bungee the lever to on.

Some valves have detent kits that can be installed.

Attachments

• PB hex screw.jpg
    PB hex screw.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 180
  • PB adapter.jpg
    PB adapter.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:
   / Power Beyond on Dual SCV Valve
I would rather not use the bungee method and would rather be able to switch it on or off from a simple solenoid valve.

In terms of a picture, I don't have a digital camera or a fancy phone where I could upload it.

/ Power Beyond on Dual SCV Valve #5  
You can do that with a 3rd function valve if you find the PB line.

/ Power Beyond on Dual SCV Valve #6  
Drawing is PB for 5400. Maybe from the drawing JJ can tell which hose is which. Or JD dealer could print out the install instructions

Attachments

• 5400pbkit.gif
    5400pbkit.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,019
   / Power Beyond on Dual SCV Valve #7  
Item 24 looks like a hex screw for the PB, but not sure unless I looked at the parts list.

Can you look at the parts list for this valve or illustration and let us know.

/ Power Beyond on Dual SCV Valve #8  
J_J
This is the spec's on parts key 24

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    68.2 KB · Views: 434
   / Power Beyond on Dual SCV Valve #9  
24 is called out as a pipe plug. Specs TxJim posted shows it to be hex socket w/pipe threads

/ Power Beyond on Dual SCV Valve #10  
Thanks.

Since it is a pipe plug, then it would be the PB for the valve.

So hose #6 line is the PB supply for whatever is downstream.