Sticking fuel gauge

/ Sticking fuel gauge #1  
Tractor
Long 360, John Deere 3005, Farmall Cub, Case IH495, Fordson Power Major
Good afternoon fellow tractor enthusiast. I have a quick question regarding the fuel gauge sticking on my John Deere 3005. Is anyone had this problem before? How do I render the issue. It is better just drive the tractor guessing my fuel level? Any comments or opinions would be helpful. Thank you!

/ Sticking fuel gauge #2  
Does it operate at all or just stick in one spot? There are lots of posts on TBN regarding fuel sender/gauge problems. You can search on "fuel gauge" to get some ideas.

1999 JD 4600 MFWD
460 loader
Curtis cab

/ Sticking fuel gauge
It actually works most of the time however the tractor is not very old and it stops working every now and then. However i have not noticed any changes to the temp gauge. Any ideas?

/ Sticking fuel gauge #4  
Hmmm... I do know, from observation, that my fuel gauge is as slow as molasses to fully indicate how much is in the tank. It will eventually get there but it's not like a car's gauge that practically jumps to the level in the tank. On the one hand the gauge only operates when the tractor is powered up but on the other hand it reacts as if it is a gravity/volume fed indicator. It has fooled me on occasion.

As it's an intermittent fault, perhaps there is some sort of tank debris that occasionally blocks it.

/ Sticking fuel gauge #5  
When it stops working, does it go to "full" or "empty" or just stay where it was?

1999 JD 4600 MFWD
460 loader
Curtis cab

/ Sticking fuel gauge #6  
Unbolt the sending unit, and check to see if it looks ok and if the float seems to be intact. May or may not find a problem.
$35 for a new one. Part # AM876791

/ Sticking fuel gauge
I notice it only when i first crank the tractor and the gauge never moves. I do notice it and it might be a coincidence when I hit huge hard bumps. However I'm not overly worried I was just curious. Thank you guys for the advice!!!

/ Sticking fuel gauge #8  
Sounds like a loose connection to me. I don't have schematic for your tractor, but on mine the sender is in the grounded side of the circuit. I would suspect the same for yours but am not sure.

Should be 2 wires coming from the fuel level sensor. With the engine off, make sure the connector at the sender is fully engaged. To be certain, carefully separate it and reconnect. One wire from the connector should go to the instrument panel, the other to ground. Make sure the ground connection is good and tight. Of course the problem could be on the gauge side too, but that's a lot more work to chase down. Start with the simple stuff first. Good luck!

1999 JD 4600 MFWD
460 loader
Curtis cab

/ Sticking fuel gauge #9  
Followup....may NOT be a connector at the sender unit. If connected with ring type wire terminals, make sure they are tight. The ground wire will likely be black and the wire to the gauge will be some other color. Hope this all helps.

1999 JD 4600 MFWD
460 loader
Curtis cab