JD moweryoke won't slip into PTO

/ JD moweryoke won't slip into PTO #1  

REt92

Tractor
JD 1010 JD 3005
Had problems with the mower yoke on old JD. Same problem with a newer JD. Mower is 6 ft JD I have always assumed when you pull back the sliding hub on mower shaft it should snap into the groove on PTO. Usually I can make it slide on but it is difficult. when it does slide on it just slides in easily. I took a look in the yoke and see two steel clips that must be binding. that hub is squeaky clean ,so dirt is not a problem. Can those clips be replaced, it don't look like it?????? clips are not bound up, but seem rough. Any solution to this situation???
REt92 thanks

/ JD moweryoke won't slip into PTO #2  
What is the model no. of the mower? or is it a rotary cutter? or is it a sicklebar mower?

/ JD moweryoke won't slip into PTO
morning It is a grooming mower JD 272 pull behind
Ret92

/ JD moweryoke won't slip into PTO #4  
I'm still suspecting some caked dirt or something stuck in there.
Get some good penetrating oil to oil those clips (pawls), but if they are dinged up then I'd replace them. Or at least remove the retainer and take it apart to see what might be repairable, maybe with a bit of filing.
There is a lock kit that can be ordered.. AE49773 (not cheap, but available).

Hey beenthere

thanks O so much for the link to a kit for that yoke end. I did a bit of fine filing today and I did get it to slip on . will be easier to work on it when the blade is off the back so I got working room. sounds like you might be around Ia. Anyway, thanks again for the help
Ret92

/ JD moweryoke won't slip into PTO #6  
Grew up south side Waterloo, but now in SW corner of WI. No dusty roads here. :D

that is a coincidence. I was born in Waterloo I grew up on the east side of Waterloo, 4 blocks north of the Illinois central railroad tracks on 4th street. Graduated from east high in 48. Lived there till 69, working in the body shop at the Ford dealership on Laporte Rd.. 30 years in Ca, and now 15 in N Va. Go back to Waterloo most every year, got some folks back there. It sure has changed, not for the better. I took that hub apart a few days ago, took a fine file and smoothed up the clips and splines. It will slide into the shaft now, but with the blade on the back it is not easy to get to. Did you go to West high, or Orange?
Ret92

/ JD moweryoke won't slip into PTO #8  
Orange. Farm on Hammond Rd. New Hwy 20 goes right through the fields I used to work in the 50's.

One of my buddies married a girl that came from that area. She was a Kersten I think that is the right spelling. There was Ida and Don and Janice. They had a huge farm out that way. Their dad was Floyd Kersten. Knew a Dean Mumper from there also
Small darn world isn't it?
Ret92