2240 PTO Clutch Reassembly

/ 2240 PTO Clutch Reassembly #1  

mtDanE

Tractor
JD 2240, JD 1010u JD1010r, JD 420 l&g, JD 110 l&g
Hey Guys,

I'm hoping this is any easy question. I Split my tractor between the clutch and transmission housing to replace the 10 pto clutch disks and separator plates. Rebuilt the pto clutch and reinstalled it back into the tractor. I slide the tractor back together tightened up the case bolts. nothing seemed strange, a little giggling and and it aligned back up ok. But i grabbed the end of the PTO shaft expecting it to be engaged to the shaft coming out of the pto clutch pack, but it seems to be just touching just enough where you can feel the splines rubbing across each other. I split it again to see what is going on, but I can see anything wrong. Is this how it should be and the pressure of the hydraulic in the pto assembly pushes the shaft back out to engage the pto shaft? or is something else goofed up. like to know before I dump new fluid back into it.

Thanks Dan...

/ 2240 PTO Clutch Reassembly
never mind, I pulled out the pto shaft out and realized there must be a coupler between the 2 shafts, took the rock shaft/ transmission cover off and found the coupler sitting in the bottom of the transmission. I'm off and running again. thanks Dan...

/ 2240 PTO Clutch Reassembly #3  
You probably had the PTO "engaged" with the lever on the left side when you split the tractor. Coupler can easily fall off.

/ 2240 PTO Clutch Reassembly #4  
Zebrafive
I have a question please. If pto control lever is forward which means both input & rear shafts are splined in coupler before case is split how can coupler fall off when tractor is split between clutch housing & trans case?? I realize if rear pto shaft is removed pto control lever must be in engaged(forward) position or coupler will fall off. It's been many yrs since I looked inside a JD utility tractor trans. case & I'm having difficulty visualizing why coupler falls off.
Thanks,Jim

/ 2240 PTO Clutch Reassembly #5  
Zebrafive
I have a question please. If pto control lever is forward which means both input & rear shafts are splined in coupler before case is split how can coupler fall off when tractor is split between clutch housing & trans case?? I realize if rear pto shaft is removed pto control lever must be in engaged(forward) position or coupler will fall off. It's been many yrs since I looked inside a JD utility tractor trans. case & I'm having difficulty visualizing why coupler falls off.
Thanks,Jim

Too many years for me too, so I may have it wrong.

With the lever forward (engaged) coupler is 1/2 on each shaft coupling them together. During the split it can fall off. Since it is only 1/2 on the forward shaft.
With the lever rearward (disengaged) the coupler is all on the rear PTO shaft and less likely to fall off.

/ 2240 PTO Clutch Reassembly #6  
Too many years for me too, so I may have it wrong.

With the lever forward (engaged) coupler is 1/2 on each shaft coupling them together. During the split it can fall off. [/QUOTE

I disagree that it can simply fall off in a split because it's still held on by shifter collar on rear shaft

/ 2240 PTO Clutch Reassembly #7  
It's been over ten years since I did a split. I have not had one fall off. I will have to take a close look next time I do a split.

Good Morning guys, just to add to this, the tractor has IPTO, using hydraulic pressure to engage the clutch pack. I did not check how much room there was from the end of the pto shaft to the front of the trans housing, it was covered by the trans gears and syncro. but based on where the bushing rides on the shaft coming from the clutch housing I would think it would be a few inches. All i know was it was a small pain to get it back on because you can't slide it in with the pto shaft because it does not fit through the opening in the case about haft way in. I had to drop it into the section with the gears and then hold it in place with a few magnets while i had someone slide the pto shaft into it. Dan

Oh, I also wanted to comment, that I was having over heating problems with this tractor, It would get very close to the red line on the gauge. I was about ready to get an aftermarket radiator for it. I baled all day yesterday with the gauge sitting where it should be. I'm chalking it up the the pto slipping extremely bad. There was no material left on all 10 friction disks, Dan.

/ 2240 PTO Clutch Reassembly #10  
Zebrafive
Thanks,Jim

OOPS my BAD, it's pulling the PTO shaft, NOT splitting the tractor that can let the coupler fall off.