Multiple problems with 5093E

/ Multiple problems with 5093E #1  

Lineman North Florida

Veteran Member
Tractor
Farmtrac 360 DTC with FEL & John Deere 5093E with FEL ,Kubota SVL 75-2
Long story short my dad passed away and I inherited a 2011 5093E, the tractor has less than 200 hrs on it and has been well taken care of and kept under a barn, I started getting ground ready for winter pasture for cows and noticed the fuel gauge doesn't work, thought no big deal but then I noticed that the shuttle shift doesn't half work, when you shift to go in reverse it makes a clicking sound right there at the shuttle shift lever, I am guessing that it's probably some sort of electric switch or something, then to ice the cake this afternoon as I was finishing up 1 field a noise went off in the cab and the suspension in the seat gave up, so it appears something has broken in there as well, needless to say I am not impressed with this tractor. Has anyone else had any of these problems with these or similar model JD tractors? Thank's in advance for any information. Charlie.

/ Multiple problems with 5093E #2  
I read the thread title and had a little chuckle, sorry...... I had many many problems with mine until I got rid of it at 1200 hours. Your problems sound pretty minor so far, but only has 200hrs. If you can, sell it. They seem to hold value ok for some reason. Some people have no problems at all with the 5E's and some, like me had nothing but problems.

/ Multiple problems with 5093E #3  
Charlie, never had those problems but I had a few small hiccups from new at the dealer that I was able to take care of. As far as the shuttle, it's not quite right. JD calls it a power reverser. I may be stating the obvious but there are three detents. F-N-R. You do not need to use the clutch to change directions with this setup. Do you have the air seat or the spring seat? Mine was a spring seat and other than not being able to adjust it stuff enough for my lead bottom it has been fine for around 500 hours or so. If the machine has been squirreled away in a barn, I'd be taking a good hard look at the wiring harness. 200 hours in 4 years is barely using it. If I had to guess there is a mouse hotel in there somewhere and you might find some more electrical nightmares pop up.

/ Multiple problems with 5093E
Charlie, never had those problems but I had a few small hiccups from new at the dealer that I was able to take care of. As far as the shuttle, it's not quite right. JD calls it a power reverser. I may be stating the obvious but there are three detents. F-N-R. You do not need to use the clutch to change directions with this setup. Do you have the air seat or the spring seat? Mine was a spring seat and other than not being able to adjust it stuff enough for my lead bottom it has been fine for around 500 hours or so. If the machine has been squirreled away in a barn, I'd be taking a good hard look at the wiring harness. 200 hours in 4 years is barely using it. If I had to guess there is a mouse hotel in there somewhere and you might find some more electrical nightmares pop up.
Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread, but I have been busy and got side tracked, mine has the spring adjust not the air ride, but something definitely broke in it, as it goes smooth to the bottom with zero resistance, I'll try to post back with some updates as I get it all figured out, right now I have jumped on replacing some bearings on a 30 year old Bush Hog harrow that about whipped me. Charlie.

/ Multiple problems with 5093E #5  
I tried to view parts breakdown for seat suspension to no avail. I did find out it's a Grammar seat so I would think parts would be available from Grammar.

I tried to view parts breakdown for seat suspension to no avail. I did find out it's a Grammar seat so I would think parts would be available from Grammar.
Thanks' I spoke with the dealer today and he told me it sounds like I broke the spring, I will try to update when I make some head way on fixing it. Charlie.

/ Multiple problems with 5093E #7  
Sorry to hear that your dad passed away. )0:

Seems like a lot of people are having trouble with these Deeres. Selling off or trading in maybe good advice. Seems like a waste though with a tractor with only 200 hrs. Deere seems to be struggling.

I thought I would update this thread, I went to the closest JD dealer to me and they said there were no replacement springs available for the suspension seat in this model tractor and that I would have to by the whole base assembly at almost $600.00, well I knew I wasn't going to do that, so I went to a real JD dealer that deals in mostly agricultural equipment, I didn't get it out of my mouth good and was told that there was a heavy duty replacement spring kit that replaced the original springs in the type of seat that I had that were prone to fail and they could have it for me by middle of the week for less than $20.00. Long story short it was a little aggravating getting the springs replaced as the seat operates like a scissor but all in all not to bad, the Part#is LVA18522 if anybody ever runs into this and needs it. Charlie.

/ Multiple problems with 5093E #9  
Thanks for the update, Charlie. I'm guessing you kept the tractor these last couple years.. Did you figure out the shuttle-shift problem?

If I recall correctly, those JD models (E) came with either a hydraulic or a elect-hydraulic reverser. One was a "shuttle-shift" and the other is the PowerReverser. Does yours have the shuttle tranny?

Hope your Spring season is going along well.

Thanks for the update, Charlie. I'm guessing you kept the tractor these last couple years.. Did you figure out the shuttle-shift problem?

If I recall correctly, those JD models (E) came with either a hydraulic or a elect-hydraulic reverser. One was a "shuttle-shift" and the other is the PowerReverser. Does yours have the shuttle tranny?

Hope your Spring season is going along well.
Mine is the shuttle shift and I can only assume that it was some sort of lack of use issue with the electronic switch because once I started using it more it quit doing it, so I hope it continues to work, if not I will tackle that project. As far as spring goes I'm still feeding cows hay, it is so dry here that my pasture can't come out, so I'm waiting and praying for rain. How's it going in Alaska?