JD 1020 power steering

/ JD 1020 power steering #1  

historyan1975

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 1020
Hi,

on my JD 1020, the power steering mechanism failed........

What can I do ........ can be fixed with the AT26188 John Deere Power Steering Column Seal Kit or needs to be change with an other used piece????

The piece part numbers, AL31262, AT26188, RE10800...

I am going to attach some photoes about related piece........

Please, help me.....................
:confused:

Last edited:
   / JD 1020 power steering #2  
If it's just leaking then I recommend installing seal kit. This can be accomplished by loosening big adjuster nut on the top of housing and turning shaft(parts key 1 & valves) CCW to remove shaft while housing(parts key 3) stays attached to tractor. The 6 big o-rings can be a pain in the rear to install correctly in their appropriate lands but it can be accomplished. If for any reason you decide to remove the 2 valve bodies from shaft take extreme care to document(photograph) location of shims as correct shimming affects correct operation of PS. HTH's & good luck,Jim

Attachments

• L13683_________UN12FEB98.gif
    L13683_________UN12FEB98.gif
    17.6 KB · Views: 2,448
   / JD 1020 power steering
Thank you for answering so soon....

I was ploughing and the tractor's wheel crashed with a big stone...and the PS failed...after that is working only rarelly and it work only manual and hardly...

I have some questions related with the attached photos:

-first, the PS repairing kit is it the same as on the photo?!

- on 3 photos you can see an used PS tower from Germany....but...I think it is not the same as on my tractor... and it is also not the same as on the fifth photo, which is a new one....

Finally, is it recomended to buy it or not? I mean the old /used one.....has for JD 1020, but a little different....

016.jpg017.jpg018.jpgAL31262-2.jpgPower-Steering-Repair-Kit.jpg

/ JD 1020 power steering #4  
From viewing your photo's are you positive your tractor had power steering and not manual steering? I do not remember power steering housing having a plug similar to parts key 10 in your or parts photo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• L13683_________UN12FEB98.gif
    L13683_________UN12FEB98.gif
    17.6 KB · Views: 687
   / JD 1020 power steering
The high pressure oil entering hole?! In my JD this piece is located on the right side...at the bottom...in the photos...this piece is located on the backside...in the middle part..splayed...
The dealer asks for this piece only 10&..does it worst tó buy it or not...I hope it is a working piece...But...but...the middle part of the piece looks like not the same...squared vs. circular....
Good night......Jim....

/ JD 1020 power steering
Oh..
Yes
...my JD is with PS...I'am sure...tomorrow I Will send photos..now here is 10 pm.

/ JD 1020 power steering #7  
The hole in photo is the one I was referring to and it's not a hyd high pressure connection orifice.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    922.7 KB · Views: 656
   / JD 1020 power steering
There is not any other hole...Why..exits models with two holes...for the entering ..exiting hy press oil....?!
I suppose that the oil entering hole...without reduction....

/ JD 1020 power steering #10  
Hyd return hole for PS is in the very bottom of PS housing joining a hole in clutch housing then leading back to trans case.