2013 JD5045E

/ 2013 JD5045E #1  

rushray

Tractor
JD5045E
I've a 5045E with 275 hours. I had some sheet metal under the tractor and noticed some coolant on it. With a little looking I found a leak on the head gasket on the left side (as sitting in seat). It's mostly been used to pull a 6' shredder, some lifting, and drilling post holes. Nothing serious. Had never shown signs of overheating. Anyone else experienced this or heard of it. Would certainly expect more from JD.

/ 2013 JD5045E #2  
I've a 5045E with 275 hours. I had some sheet metal under the tractor and noticed some coolant on it. With a little looking I found a leak on the head gasket on the left side (as sitting in seat). It's mostly been used to pull a 6' shredder, some lifting, and drilling post holes. Nothing serious. Had never shown signs of overheating. Anyone else experienced this or heard of it. Would certainly expect more from JD.

Sorry to hear about the leak. Have you spoken with the dealer about it? I would demand they make right!

/ 2013 JD5045E #3  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

Enjoy the site... I agree with ProjectKing, have a talk with your dealership. They should put it right.

Nothin's perfect, eh? Vibration can, and is, the number one cause of faults.

/ 2013 JD5045E #4  
The 50x5 series is well known for having coolant leaks due to loose hose clamps (they use the screw worm drive type that come loose vs spring type). I guess I'm saying are you positive it's the head? May be worth triple checking.

/ 2013 JD5045E #5  
Im betting it is the top radiator hose where it goes into the thermostat housing. For some reason at least on mine that one likes to leak. I have tightened mine several times.

/ 2013 JD5045E #6  
I had to tighten all of my hose clamps before 50 hours. Once everything had settled in and I had them tight I've had no more problem. If it is the head gasket that is another thing all together and your dealer should make it right.

/ 2013 JD5045E
Thanks for all the responses. I stopped by the JD dealer yesterday afternoon. Talked with the service manager and he showed me one of the several tractors with the same problem. As mentioned in one of the responses, turns out it's common for hoses, clamps, fittings to leak for not being tight. He thought it possible that the cooling fan was blowing the coolant towards the back of the engine. Had seen it before. So, going to top it off, wipe everything down, get to temp and watch. Hope he's right. Much easier fix and he offered to take care of the problem whatever it may be. That's the service you'd expect from a JD dealer. Thanks again for all the responses.

/ 2013 JD5045E #8  
Thanks for all the responses. I stopped by the JD dealer yesterday afternoon. Talked with the service manager and he showed me one of the several tractors with the same problem. As mentioned in one of the responses, turns out it's common for hoses, clamps, fittings to leak for not being tight. He thought it possible that the cooling fan was blowing the coolant towards the back of the engine. Had seen it before. So, going to top it off, wipe everything down, get to temp and watch. Hope he's right. Much easier fix and he offered to take care of the problem whatever it may be. That's the service you'd expect from a JD dealer. Thanks again for all the responses.

Great to hear the dealer is standing with you!!