Problem starting 5045d John Deere tractor

/ Problem starting 5045d John Deere tractor #21  
I guess I would need to cut open an old fuel filter to see how it works, but I would think one would NOT want to try and drain it while the tractor is running as that opens up the system. It does not surprise me that it died. Others please correct me if you think I am wrong.

Before you go cracking injectors, watch this video this tractor has the same fuel filter set-up as the tractor you are working on. Then fill the tank, change the fuel filter and fill it before you put it on. See if it will start up. If not try bleeding again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxEDJiIdzcA

I have attached the page from the manual for bleeding. What you are talking about locking down applies if there is a hand primer, which based on your pictures is NOT what you have.

Here is the manual.

OMSJ301049

Attachments

• 5045d_bleed.pdf
    327.2 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
   / Problem starting 5045d John Deere tractor
I got it started . I had to bleed the system and crack the injectors to get it started after putting 5 gallons of diesel in it.
I believe it ran out right when I touched the fuel filter. It was late when I got over there i thought I saw a 1/4 tank or more and the lady said she thought it had that but when it died I looked at the gauge and it was on red. I'll post some of the pictures later of the other stuff I'm going to take a shower.

/ Problem starting 5045d John Deere tractor #23  
By looking at your pictures, it appears that your fuel filter is original. It is painted green which is how they come from the factory. Not sure how old the tractor is or how many hours is on it, but I would definitely start with changing your filter. There is probably a smaller in-line filter that should be changed as well. In your earlier picture of the injection pump, The green connector above the injection pump is the connector for the cold start sensor. Follow it up to the thermostat housing to find the sensor. It is barely visible in your photo. It appears that it is connected so I doubt it is your problem..

There's what your talking about in the first picture I think there in that order I'll see when I post. I unplugged it and pushed back together to make sure it's getting contact. The second picture I do not know what it does but when I followed it back it was touching the maifold and it melted the wire loom off and the two wires are burnt and hard. Not burned into but hard.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    310.8 KB · Views: 1,121
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    328.3 KB · Views: 1,379
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    229.2 KB · Views: 471
   / Problem starting 5045d John Deere tractor #25  
kpack
2nd photo of yours is sensor for speed-hour meter(tachometer) RE60021 FILTER ELEMENT, ELEMENT,FL FILTER,S ADD 21.97 USD & AL153517 FUEL FILTER, PRE-FUEL FILTER ADD 33.43 USD(parts key 5) With electric transfer pump(parts key 7) bleeding air out of fuel filter should be very easy.

Attachments

• 0002387671____________A1.gif
    0002387671____________A1.gif
    92.5 KB · Views: 669
   / Problem starting 5045d John Deere tractor #26  
Plugging in coolant heater at 45ーF is a waste of ELECTRICITY!!!!!!

If 30 minutes of heater time is going to financially break the operator . The time is over due to sell out.
There could however be a slow cranking situation with a weak or undersized battery, voltage drop in the cables or connections . Or a worn stater. Measuring voltage at the starter while cranking would be revealing.

/ Problem starting 5045d John Deere tractor #27  
If 30 minutes of heater time is going to financially break the operator . The time is over due to sell out.
There could however be a slow cranking situation with a weak or undersized battery, voltage drop in the cables or connections . Or a worn stater. Measuring voltage at the starter while cranking would be revealing.

It's not about the WASTE of 30 minutes of the electric meter spinning or whom can or can"t afford it BUT my point is most diesel engines in good operating condition will start just fine @ 45°F with NO OTHER ASSISTANCE REQUIRED including a warm coolant heater!!!!!!!! Maybe diesel engines require more assistance in Canada @ 45° F than in the Republic of Texas:D

/ Problem starting 5045d John Deere tractor #28  
It's not about the WASTE of 30 minutes of the electric meter spinning or whom can or can"t afford it BUT my point is most diesel engines in good operating condition will start just fine @ 45°F with NO OTHER ASSISTANCE REQUIRED including a warm coolant heater!!!!!!!! Maybe diesel engines require more assistance in Canada @ 45° F than in the Republic of Texas:D

There is more "Hot Air" in Texas which assists starting

Easy boys were all trying to help each other. This lady is a very good friend of ours I help her with stuff from time to time no charge she would do anything for my family.
She says it only has about 300 hrs on it , I did not look at the hrs but I will ,I'm trying to find the model number I wrote it down but can't find it . Maybe y'all can tell the yr model.

/ Problem starting 5045d John Deere tractor #30  
There is more "Hot Air" in Texas which assists starting

b&d you're correct on the hot air as I see flies still alive here. It hasn't been below freezing so far this Winter but very few times. I think it's called "Global change" Have you recieved much snow?