3020 Seat and canopy?

/ 3020 Seat and canopy? #1  

imabass

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 3020 Propane
I am curious about seat replacements that are out there. I see some OEM style replacement seats but wanted to know more about other options that fit. Minor modifications would be okay. OEM looks are less important than comfort.

I am also curious on your opinions on the canopy(s) that are sold. I think they are in the $125-150 range. Good investment? More trouble than they are worth? I am worried that a tree limb will quickly destroy the canopy. Are these easy to take on/off?

/ 3020 Seat and canopy? #2  
I remember the three piece seat cushion sets for 3020 and 4020 were more comfortable than the two piece seats on the 820 3cyl models. All of them last longer if stored out of the sun, so a canopy helps with that a few hours a day.

I put a late model canopy with lighting and insulation on my 820. My first thought was buying the rops for safety reasons (live in the mountains) and went ahead and purchased the canopy. This is not a quick removable set up for on and off purposes. And yes I am sure you can beat up the canopy with large tree branches.

The rops was a factory branded folding model that fit the 820. Here's a picture.

Attachments

• 820 new pics 001.jpg
    820 new pics 001.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 574
   / 3020 Seat and canopy? #3  
I'm also curious about seats for my 3020. I replaced it once with a seat from the dealer, and a year later its as if the sun is melting it very slowly. here it is two years later and it is destroyed. The factory original one lasted for years, so now I am looking for that kind of quality, that the dealer did not have anymore.

/ 3020 Seat and canopy? #4  
The 820 in the picture above was painted and new seat installed in 1997. Most of its life has been outside here in New Mexico, so it has some discoloration on the seat. The picture was taken about 2013 so pretty good for 16 years I think.

/ 3020 Seat and canopy? #5  
I'm here in Wyoming, and I cant seem to buy a seat that will last. I can deal with sun fade, but the material in the cheaper replacements lasts every bit as long as the seats from the dealer. The original was on for forty years, ripping at the seams, faded yellow to brown, and not as much cushion left. It was a family tractor stored outside but under a hay shed, no walls, just a roof on poles, and only when there was enough hay gone to fit the tractor in. Basically the same circumstances nowadays. For my benefit as well as the OP's, is there a seat out there that looks original that will last?

/ 3020 Seat and canopy? #6  
I'm here in Wyoming, and I cant seem to buy a seat that will last. I can deal with sun fade, but the material in the cheaper replacements lasts every bit as long as the seats from the dealer. The original was on for forty years, ripping at the seams, faded yellow to brown, and not as much cushion left. It was a family tractor stored outside but under a hay shed, no walls, just a roof on poles, and only when there was enough hay gone to fit the tractor in. Basically the same circumstances nowadays. For my benefit as well as the OP's, is there a seat out there that looks original that will last?

Might try an upholstery shop and see if they can cover the seat with marine vinyl (spelling?). Not a hard or expensive seat repair job.

/ 3020 Seat and canopy? #7  
I just suck it up and buy the original.. 'cause I like original and do not like cracks in seat cover.
Just one of the costs to do business with my "Deere's". Next seats will be the '98 Gator seats.. last one was for the '98 4300. But 17 years isn't bad cost per year, IMO.

/ 3020 Seat and canopy? #8  
I did go to the dealer and bought the original, and it is nearly destroyed two years later. I can buy one from the dealer for over $200, or buy aftermarket for around $125 either way they last the same, the sun hits them and they get sticky and blistered. I am willing to pay for quality, and I like my dealer. The original seat was destroyed by beings used and it lasted for years. I would gladly pay for one of that quality. I will have to look into an upholstery job, thanks for the idea!

/ 3020 Seat and canopy? #9  
JD offers a draw string seat cushion cover but it appears to be cost prohibitive!!!!!!! :D

R34618 Cushion Cover - COVER,SEAT CUSHION YELLOW ADD 75.58 USD

/ 3020 Seat and canopy? #10  
You can no longer buy the original seat. The seats that the dealer sells are not of the same material and probably not even the same vendor from that many years ago. If you could still get the original it would be way overpriced beyond that of the current dealer option. There are some alternatives however and I have also had very good luck with the old standby grammer seat assy for utility tractors (google wf222yl as one example, there is lots of choices). In many cases you can get the mech suspension/seat assy for less than the price of replacement cushions. And you can get grammer stuff from virtually any ag dealer as well as aftermarket sellers like A&I, Hycapacity, etc etc. And like mentioned you could have your dealer get the style you have now from those same companies for a chunk less, and again can go to just about any ag dealer as 3020/4020 seat was not exclusive to Deere. To get a seat that will outlast pretty much all of the choices for sale on the market today you will probably need to do as suggested and have an upholstery shop do it for you so that the material desired can be used.

Last edited: