3020 Adjust wheel spacing?

/ 3020 Adjust wheel spacing? #1  

imabass

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 3020 Propane
I have the 3020 with the double bevel rims. Currently I have it set to the inside bevel and I can simply move the cast center to the outside bevel and narrow the rear wheels by a total of 8".

My question is adjusting the cast centers. From what I gathered, I loosen the 6 bolts (3 inside and 3 outside) then use the nut mounted at 90* to drive the cam along the pinon that is machined in the axle. My guess is that is easier said than done given that wheel has not moved along that shaft in 50 years.

I measured my wheels and from outside to outside I am 104" wide. I am needing to get a trailer to move the tractor and I would like to narrow the rears to safely get on/off the trailer. Based on my measurements, I should be able to narrow up to 16" and still have sufficient clearance on the 3 point lift. There will also be added benefit of being able to take tighter turns when pulling a trailer or brush hog.

Thanks!

/ 3020 Adjust wheel spacing? #2  
There should be 5 bolts on the outside. Three larger ones that take a 1 5/16" socket and 2 smaller ones that take 1 1/16" socket. Loosen the three larger ones and tighten the 2 small ones to break loose the wedge from the axle. Once it is broken loose, then use the Bolt at 90 degrees to wind the wheel in and out. And you are correct, they can be a real challenge to get moving after sitting in the same position all those years.

/ 3020 Adjust wheel spacing? #3  
I'll add to what jd110 stated to also apply liberal amounts of your favorite penetrating oil to wedge area. Also hitting end of axle with a big sledge hammer helps loosen wedges IE tighten the 2 pusher,hit axle then tighten bolts,hit axle etc.

Hitting axle to loosen wedges was recommended by JD service dept.

/ 3020 Adjust wheel spacing? #4  
I just did this on mine. Tried every method and only thing that worked was heat