5400 MFWD noise

/ 5400 MFWD noise #1  

OntarioGuy

Tractor
Hi there. I just changed the 4 spider gears on the front axle - look to be the same as u-joints. I didn't buy JD ones - they were 7 times the price of ones I picked up at a driveline shop! When in 4WD, and I turn more than about half way, there is a loud sort of clicking noise that appears to be coming from the front tire area that would be the outside tire. To clarify, if I am turning left more than half-way to a full left hand turn, the clicking noise seems to be coming from the front right hand wheel. If I turn right more than half-way to a full right hand turn, the clicking noise seems to be coming from the front left hand wheel. The noise only happens when in 4WD. If I am in 2WD, I can turn as sharp as I want with no noise. It doesn't seem to matter if there is a load in the bucket or not. The noise seems to happen in gravel or on grass. I really can't see it being the u-joints, even if they are not JD. The u-joints were so noisy before I changed them that I am not sure if this is a new noise or not. Any help in diagnosing this would be much appreciated.

/ 5400 MFWD noise #2  
Do not know, but wonder if the joints are aligned right? Maybe that is not important.

/ 5400 MFWD noise #3  
out of time with other joint?

I have a PDF of the Tech manual you're welcome to, if wanted shoot me your email

Joe