Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Next door to the Gates of H*** in Sumterville, Florida
    Tractor
    John Deere 4500 4X4

Default Getting a stump knocker off a MX6

Can somebody please tell me how to get the stump knocker off my MX-6 bushhog. It is leaking and I would like to replace it but, I cant find info on the subject and my MX-6 manual doeskin really tell you. I am thinking that it is pressed on and I'm trying to figure out how to get it off, then put it back on. Any help on the matter would be gratefully appreciated!

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_X485, JD_425, JD_455, JD_110

Default Re: Getting a stump knocker off a MX6

to TBN

May be the center bolt holding the pan to the drive spindle.

OMW49246: MX5, MX6 and MX7 Rotary Cutters table of contents

Tractor
    John Deere 4500 4X4

Thanks but, how t get it off? Maybe with a nut and bolt combo behind the stump knocker? Then how the heck would ya press it back on?

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_X485, JD_425, JD_455, JD_110

My manual for my 513 rotary cutter shows using a puller (your nut/bolt combo? ) to get it off.. but suspect just tightening the nut is sufficient to get it back on.

Veteran Member

The "stump knocker" is on a tapered spline. It goes on very easily just by aligning the splines and tightening the bolt to spec. Coming off can be tricky. Recommended procedure is to remove the blades and then remove the center bolt. Then stick a heavy piece of pipe through access hole in deck that is long enough to hit with heavy sledge. Place the pipe on heavy part of stump jumper where the blade attaches and hit with sledge hammer until it comes off. The tapered spline will fall right off as soon as it breaks loose. When reinstalling, tighten center bolt to 450 ft lbs if it uses a lock washer and 580 ft lbs if it has a flat washer only.

Tractor
    New Holland 345D shuttle, Rayco RG 50 Super, Southern Tractor (Hinomoto) E-280

Pounding from the top has never worked for me. I use a heavy duty puller (bolted into blade holes) from the bottom and a lot of heat. Then apply a BFH to end of puller while under extreme tension. If you get it off, make sure to use anti-seize lube when reassembling.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD 3520

Mine busted in half, leaving the spline in the jumper, and nothing short of cutting torches, and blasting it with a sledge broke it loose. I don't know that I wouldn't put some grease in it and see how that fared for leakage. Maybe add a couple washers when you bolt it back and see if it begins to work down during the lube testing. There's a huge range of acceptable gear lube viscosities, but JD goes pretty thin when they fill it.

Tractor
    Bobcat V417 Toolcat 5610 F TORO+Loader

Quote Originally Posted by mopar440cu View Post
    Can somebody please tell me how to get the stump knocker off my MX-6 bushhog. It is leaking and I would like to replace it but, I cant find info on the subject and my MX-6 manual doeskin really tell you. I am thinking that it is pressed on and I'm trying to figure out how to get it off, then put it back on. Any help on the matter would be gratefully appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by brown40 View Post
    Mine busted in half, leaving the spline in the jumper, and nothing short of cutting torches, and blasting it with a sledge broke it loose. I don't know that I wouldn't put some grease in it and see how that fared for leakage. -------------------------

The grease in the gear box thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/a...-gear-box.html
    Hold "Ctrl" (Control) and click on a picture or a Link, to open it in a new Tab.

My Avatar, the TORO+Loader:
    Kwik-Way FEL and TORO Groundsmaster Put Together

V417 Compact Telehandler: ​(This replaced my tractor): The best machine to do what I need done

Tractor
    John Deere 4500 4X4

I just got the chance to read all your responses, due to surgery. I really appreciate the advise!!!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 5083E MWFD, Kubota L3400 HST

My Mx10 is held on a tapered spline. There is a castle nut and a cotter pin. I believe thr nut is almost 2" and is extremely tight. I used a 3/4" ratchet to knock the nut loose and I coobled together my truck jack and some chain to make a puller. I looped the chain up over the bar that holds the blades on each side to make a cradle. Then I set the jack in the cradle and jacked against the spindle with the nut on it so I didn't damage the threads. I then ran the jack up with alot of pressure and had to hit the stump jumper pan with a BFH and a piece of pipe through the vent hole in the top. It came apart with quite a racket with some persuasion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast