John Deere square baler 219

/ John Deere square baler 219 #1  

HumphreyUK

Tractor
Someca 35
The first thing I noticed on a recently acquired baler was the lack of drive to the flywheel. I suppose that the splines on the drive plate are worn through. Is this an easy fix?
What is the name of the plate?
Anyone know the part number?
Humphrey

/ John Deere square baler 219 #2  
How is the slip clutch? Good or slipping?

/ John Deere square baler 219 #3  
It's possible slip clutch linings(key 14) are slipping or over-running pawls(key 24) for some reason aren't engaging drive hub.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    105.1 KB · Views: 142
   / John Deere square baler 219
Thanks for the replies. Thankfully, I was somewhat hasty in my diagnosis and was turning the pto in the wrong direction. The baler had been out in the open for the last 4 years but I have oiled and freed most of the moving parts. How I hate those round headed screws - whatever were they thinking of?
What is the minimum size tractor that can be used? I have a Someca 35 (Fiat)

/ John Deere square baler 219 #5  
You're very welcome. I'm not familiar with the 219 but yrs back I successfully baled some hay with a JD 214 sq baler utilizing my '45 model JD BO tractor and it only has 14 HP. Baling hay with a pto operated baler utilizing a tractor without live(independent) pto is more challenging but can be accomplished if windrows are fairly even in size.

/ John Deere square baler 219 #6  
Tx Jim
Reminds me as a 15 yr old working for a farmer doing his baling and running his baler for custom work, using a JD model G .
Starting out was a real load, and when a heavy windrow was met, had to be real quick to pull the clutch, get it out of gear, and engage clutch before the baler plugged up. Really appreciate a live PTO.. ;)