JD 2320 HST loss of hydraulic power

/ JD 2320 HST loss of hydraulic power #1  

mcald62

A friend asked me to diagnose his tractor that he let migrant workers use on his property. The tractor starts, runs and moves but it has no hydraulic power to the FEL or the 3 pt. hitch. He believes that they may have overloaded the FEL. He has no manual for the machine, and I'm not familiar with it. Is it possible that something is disengaged? Is there a pressure relief valve ? Is the pump damaged ? Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

/ JD 2320 HST loss of hydraulic power #2  
Get a pressure gauge that can be plugged into the hyd. system and get some pressure readings.

Just my opinion, but don't think they could have overloaded the FEL.. the tractor would tip up on its nose first unless some serious ballast weight was on the rear.

For a few bucks, a pressure gauge can be rigged up to plug right in to the connectors one at a time.

And check the connections on the hyd. hoses, as well as the valve that controls the drop rate of the 3 ph .

/ JD 2320 HST loss of hydraulic power #3  
There is a relief valve on the pump. Does the power steering work?

/ JD 2320 HST loss of hydraulic power
Good question. Im gonna take a ride over and find out. Can that relief valve be reset?

The power steering is not working and there is water emulsified in the hydraulic fluid along with debris floating right up to the top of the fill opening. It appears to be a piece of grass and mouse crap. Not Good!

/ JD 2320 HST loss of hydraulic power #6  
Sounds like they have a starting point for sure. How did the trash get into the closed system? Was the fill cap left off?

The cap was on but there was debris inside the fill when I checked it.

/ JD 2320 HST loss of hydraulic power #8  
Will your friend be draining, cleaning, and replacing the oil filter, screen and add new oil now (hopefully before trying to get it to work more) ??

Do you think that will solve the problem?

/ JD 2320 HST loss of hydraulic power #10  
Be lucky if it does, IMO. But have to start somewhere before operating it anymore.