JD 2950 MWFD Front Tire Camber Adjustment

/ JD 2950 MWFD Front Tire Camber Adjustment #1  

bigblock76

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2120, John Deere 3140, John Deere 2950, John Deere 7700 Combine, John Deere STX38
Is there an adjustment for the front tires to change the angle of how the sit perpendicular to the ground? A camber adjustment to have the tires when driving straight to be bang on perpendicular to the ground. I'm not talking about tie-rod adjustment to change the toe in or out.

I ask because the tire lugs on the inside of each of the front tires are considerably worn compared to the outside lugs. Mind you, it looks like the rims of the front tires were mounted inside out at some point to change the poisition of the tires on the tractor. I'm not sure why they did this but I can see the markings on the rim that they have been turned around at some point. Not sure if that was the cause.

I can take pictures in the morning.

Any feedback appreciated.
Mark

/ JD 2950 MWFD Front Tire Camber Adjustment #2  
There is no adjustment for camber. If camber is not correct, there is probably bearings out on the kingpins. Does tractor have a loader? Seems that is usually the only time I see kingpin bearing failure with extra load of loader weight on front axle. That combined with lack of maintenance usually. Also, toe in can cause wear on inside edges of tires if toed out too much. and wear on outside edges if toed in too much. Jack up the front of the tractor and se if there is any play in king pins. If there is, it should be repaired as soon as possible. If left for too long, the castings can be damaged and they are extremely expensive. Also check for any looseness in tie rods.

/ JD 2950 MWFD Front Tire Camber Adjustment
Sounds like a plan. I'll take some pictures, post them and jack up the front end and check for play and report back.

/ JD 2950 MWFD Front Tire Camber Adjustment #4  
Check toe. Your wear is characteristic of a major toe out condition.

Jacked up the front end. No play in and out when grabbing the tire top and bottom which means the king pins should be good. Slight play toe in and out on the right side and a tad more on the left side where the tierod meets the hydraulic shaft where they couple together.

I took a picture to show that the rims were flipped around at some point. I just got the unit and going over a few things so maybe that explains the worn lugs on the outside?

IMG_20170430_1342075.jpg IMG_20170430_1342218.jpg IMG_20170430_1341595.jpg

/ JD 2950 MWFD Front Tire Camber Adjustment #6  
The rims are designed to be able to flip them around to get different wheel spacings. That should not be causing any tire wear. You can flip the centers and also flip the fronts in different configurations for 8 different tread widths. I would replace the loose tie rods and adjust the toe in and you should be fine. Your picture of the tire wear appears to show lots of road travel. Front mfwd tires tend to get wear similar to that when travelling a lot on hard surfaces.

The rims are designed to be able to flip them around to get different wheel spacings. That should not be causing any tire wear. You can flip the centers and also flip the fronts in different configurations for 8 different tread widths. I would replace the loose tie rods and adjust the toe in and you should be fine. Your picture of the tire wear appears to show lots of road travel. Front mfwd tires tend to get wear similar to that when travelling a lot on hard surfaces.

Just to confirm, Adjust the toe inward?

/ JD 2950 MWFD Front Tire Camber Adjustment #8  
Of course if all is fine you can swap the tires to the other rim, thus making the inside now the outside. Just to be sure I make it clear, take tire off the left rim and install on the right rim.

/ JD 2950 MWFD Front Tire Camber Adjustment #9  
Check the service manual for toe specs. Many front wheel assist tractors are slightly toed out so that the wheels are straight when front wheels are pulling under load.

/ JD 2950 MWFD Front Tire Camber Adjustment #10  
I would adjust toe from 0 to 1/8" toed out.