JD 5520 No start

/ JD 5520 No start #1  

PACub

Tractor
Allis Chalmers 5050, John Deere 5520, Farmall Cub
Have a JD 5520 with about 250 hours on it and it suddenly won't start. I found the sticky on here and have done everything listed. Every time I turn the key on, the 20 amp fuse for the fuel shut off solenoid blows immediately. The solenoid is good, tested it with a hot wire. Engine is primed and getting fuel consistently.

Does this mean it's the key switch?

/ JD 5520 No start #2  
Sounds like you will need to find out what is causing the short..

I start that search by rigging up a 12v bulb on a socket that I can plug into the place of a fuse.. it will light up when there is a short. Start removing wires to locate the culprit that is causing the short. When the light goes out, you will have found the problem. Might just be a wire grounded out due to a mouse or friction from rubbing the insulation off.

/ JD 5520 No start #3  
I believe the problem is the thermistor sensor (thermistors are temperature variable resistors used as sensors.). On the thermostat housing there is a sensor that is connected to a two wire harness that goes to the injection pump; this is the "cold start advance" portion of the system so it starts easier when cold by advancing the timing.

When the sensor on the thermostat housing fails it shorts out and blows the 20 amp fuse for the fuel soleniod. Try unplugging it, replace fuse and see if it starts and runs. The part # is RE503242, if you are quick changing it, you don't have to drain the coolant, just make sure it's not hot at the time. You will want a pan under the tractor to catch the coolant, so as not too have to clean it up.

To comply with the exhaust emissions regulation, the timing of injection pump should be around 6 to 9 degrees before TDC. These timing values do not allow proper start-up operations when engine is cold. To ease engine start-up, a cold advance system gives to the injection pump a temporary over-timing.

When coolant temperature is below 50 C (122 F), the solenoid valve is activated and opens the cold advance circuit.

Attachments

• 3029-temp-sensor.jpg
    3029-temp-sensor.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 438
  • RE503242.jpg
    RE503242.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 364
   / JD 5520 No start
I believe the problem is the thermistor sensor (thermistors are temperature variable resistors used as sensors.). On the thermostat housing there is a sensor that is connected to a two wire harness that goes to the injection pump; this is the "cold start advance" portion of the system so it starts easier when cold by advancing the timing.

When the sensor on the thermostat housing fails it shorts out and blows the 20 amp fuse for the fuel soleniod. Try unplugging it, replace fuse and see if it starts and runs. The part # is RE503242, if you are quick changing it, you don't have to drain the coolant, just make sure it's not hot at the time. You will want a pan under the tractor to catch the coolant, so as not too have to clean it up.

To comply with the exhaust emissions regulation, the timing of injection pump should be around 6 to 9 degrees before TDC. These timing values do not allow proper start-up operations when engine is cold. To ease engine start-up, a cold advance system gives to the injection pump a temporary over-timing.

When coolant temperature is below 50 C (122 F), the solenoid valve is activated and opens the cold advance circuit.

Thank you! I believe I may have unplugged that and tried to start it. But I will definitely try it again.

Does this cause the fuse to blow immediately as I mentioned above?

/ JD 5520 No start
Update: I did as instructed with unplugging the sensor and the fuse still pops as soon as the key is cycled on.

/ JD 5520 No start #6  
Having experienced the sensor problem myself the fuse blows as soon as the key is turned. I have attached a page of the starting system for the 5210. I believe it is the same for your 5220 assuming yours is open station. As you will see there is not much on that circuit. So it is either the key switch or the fuel shut relay. On my tractor 5210 the relay is located under the cowl to the left when seating on the tractor. I have attached a picture. If the other 2 relays have the same part number try switching them around. If you can switch them just turn the key to run no need to try and start it and see what happens. They maybe a little hard to get, so go slow. Also disconnect the negative battery cable before trying to get them out! I would not put the shut-off relay in other spot, no reason to move the problem around.

Not the best pic on the starting system PM me with your email address and I can send you a better picture if you want.

If you still have the problem from the attached diagram you have the wire number and can take a look at the key switch.

For $39.95 from selectmanuals.com you can purchase a tech manual.

Here is a link to operators manual
http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMRE199128_19/?tM=FR

Attachments

• startsystem.jpg
    startsystem.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 643
  • fuel shut-off.pdf
    281.2 KB · Views: 135
   / JD 5520 No start
Having experienced the sensor problem myself the fuse blows as soon as the key is turned. I have attached a page of the starting system for the 5210. I believe it is the same for your 5220 assuming yours is open station. As you will see there is not much on that circuit. So it is either the key switch or the fuel shut relay. On my tractor 5210 the relay is located under the cowl to the left when seating on the tractor. I have attached a picture. If the other 2 relays have the same part number try switching them around. If you can switch them just turn the key to run no need to try and start it and see what happens. They maybe a little hard to get, so go slow. Also disconnect the negative battery cable before trying to get them out! I would not put the shut-off relay in other spot, no reason to move the problem around.

Not the best pic on the starting system PM me with your email address and I can send you a better picture if you want.

If you still have the problem from the attached diagram you have the wire number and can take a look at the key switch.

For $39.95 from selectmanuals.com you can purchase a tech manual.

Here is a link to operators manual
http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMRE199128_19/?tM=FR

I have a enclosed cab tractor. It pops as soon as the key is rotated on. Like I said I jumped the solenoid and it clicks but it doesn't click when I rotate the key. It only clicks if I jump it.

/ JD 5520 No start #8  
When you say solenoid, you are talking about the fuel solenoid. If it is not to hard, you may try and see if you can switch the fuel shot-off relay with the accessory relay. If they are the same part number.

/ JD 5520 No start
When you say solenoid, you are talking about the fuel solenoid. If it is not to hard, you may try and see if you can switch the fuel shot-off relay with the accessory relay. If they are the same part number.

Okay I see the relay now. I'll have to see if there's an access panel to it.

Is the diagram a cab tractor diagram? Just confirming before I go digging into the dash tower. :D

Last edited:
   / JD 5520 No start #10  
Looking at JDparts, the relays on your tractor cab or open station are located by the fuses. JDparts does show a difference depending on serial # one for 420000 and below, here there are 3 relays all the same LVA13729. For after 420001 there are only 2 SJ15809, but you may have LVA13711. I included the parts URL.

I think you may want to get the tech manual. To insure you have the correct diagrams.

There are a couple youtube videos you can watch to see how to test a relay. Since at this point not sure which relay is the fuel shut-off. Testing all of them would be the way to go instead of trying to swap them around. While you are in there might also want to test the diode pack.

To avoid shorting anything out, disconnect the negative battery cable at the battery or were it connects to the frame.

John Deere - Parts Catalog