John Deere 5105 engine noise

/ John Deere 5105 engine noise #1  

dkoepp

Tractor
John Deere 5105
I have a JD 5105 with approx 700 hrs. When idling after warm up, I have noticed a fairly loud "rattling, ratchet" noise that appears to be coming from somewhere on the left side of the engine. However, with just a light load on the engine (i.e. engaging the power steering by slightly turning the wheel) the noise tends to disappear. I unsuccessfully tried the "stethoscope" approach and tried to isolate the noise but had no luck. I released the belt tension on the alternator but it had no effect either. I also examined the water pump but there is no whining or leaks at the pump. Could this be a bad drive gear to the injector pump? How would I check this without taking off the cover?

/ John Deere 5105 engine noise #2  
:welcome: to TBN

/ John Deere 5105 engine noise #3  
Sounds like normal gear "clatter" at idle. It is caused by the hydraulic pump when there is no hydraulic load. When there is a hydraulic load, the noise from play in the gears is silenced. The timing gear train has straight cut gears. If they were helical cut, this would be a lot better. Unless you feel the noise is getting worse. Then you might want to remove the cover to inspect the gears.

Before you remove the cover, I would send out an oil sample. If there is unusual wear on anything, the test results would tell you.

/ John Deere 5105 engine noise #4  
+1 on jd110 "Sounds like normal gear "clatter" at idle". Please see attached from JD.

Attachments

• backlashno.pdf
    120.5 KB · Views: 368
   / John Deere 5105 engine noise #5  
+1 on jd110 "Sounds like normal gear "clatter" at idle". Please see attached from JD.

Hello JD5210,
Although I haven't noticed any clattering noise on my 5205 I want to thank you for posting that service bulletin. I've printed a copy and put it in my maintenance files for future reference. Where did you find the bulletin? If it was on a web site could you please post a link to the page? I don't find John Deere's web site particularly user-friendly and I can't find those kind of bulletins.

/ John Deere 5105 engine noise #6  

I have a friend with a 5210, so I printed the file for him, thanks for posting the link.

/ John Deere 5105 engine noise #7  
I found it on JD site years ago and luckily saved a copy. JD has since taken it down as I can no longer find it.

/ John Deere 5105 engine noise
I think you have totally nailed it. This response makes total sense to me and one of the other forum members attached a copy of a John Deere service bulletin that also addresses this issue in like fashion. Thanks much--I just bought this tractor and was doing some basic maintenance and your response helps put my mind at ease. I previously had visions of a gear or valve punching its way thru a housing.