JD 2440 Splitting & Disassembly Issue, Independent PTO (Less Hi-Lo & Reverser)

/ JD 2440 Splitting & Disassembly Issue, Independent PTO (Less Hi-Lo & Reverser) #1  

formulaross

Tractor
John Deere 2440
JD 2440 Splitting & Disassembly Issue, Independent PTO (Less Hi-Lo & Reverser)

Sorry for this long post, but I tend toward being **** when trying to be complete! Developed a PTO issue this past year. PTO was slipping under load and would not stop when disengaged. Replaced a broken pressure regulator spring in the PTO control valve body and now have good transmission pressure but the PTO still slipped and wouldn't stop. So we split the transmission last night. Found the PTO clutch discs worn out and coned, so they will get replaced. The PTO brake band is worn out and needs replacing, but can't get the countershaft bearing support casting & bearing off the countershaft. The snap ring was a bear to get off, so maybe we buggered the front edge of the snap ring groove? We can pry forward on the bearing support casting and drive the countershaft back with a bar and 5# hammer trying to get the countershaft out of the inner bearing race, but when the front of the countershaft/snap ring groove region gets about a 1/3 of the way into the bearing race, things stop and we can't get it to move any further. (We realize we likely have damaged the countershaft ball bearing with the pounding, so we plan to replace that as well.) We drove the bearing support back into place on the countershaft and inspected the snap ring groove edges for burrs and didn't find any. We again tried prying and driving the shaft through the bearing, and again things stopped moving about a 1/3 of the way in. Things are acting like the front of the countershaft is a larger diameter and won't pass through the bearing race. Maybe after 30+ years the snap ring has pushed up a shoulder on the shaft OD and needs to be ground off? Any ideas? We are stumped for now.

/ JD 2440 Splitting & Disassembly Issue, Independent PTO (Less Hi-Lo & Reverser) #2  
Re: JD 2440 Splitting & Disassembly Issue, Independent PTO (Less Hi-Lo & Reverser)

Welcome to TBN
I wish I could help you but I don't have any experience removing the parts you're referring to. I hope some other member can answer your question.
Jim

/ JD 2440 Splitting & Disassembly Issue, Independent PTO (Less Hi-Lo & Reverser) #3  
Re: JD 2440 Splitting & Disassembly Issue, Independent PTO (Less Hi-Lo & Reverser)

My experience is with the 2030, so this may not help!

On the end (at back rear of tractor end) of the counter shaft will be a snap ring. With the counter shaft pried forward, remove this snap ring.
On the counter shaft, between the shift collar and the reverse range pinion gear is a thrust washer. This washer has splines that match the splines on the counter shaft, but there is a groove cut in the counter shaft, so this washer must be rotated until it matches the splines and lets the counter shaft slide forward.

You can find a drawing at jdparts.com I was unable to add the drawing :mur:
As you slide the counter shaft forward EVERYTHING ON IT WILL FALL OFF!!!. Be prepared to "catch" everything and keep in proper order for reassemble.

The countershaft bearing and support are press fit. You need a press to separate; bearing from support, bearing from counter shaft.

I hope this helps!

/ JD 2440 Splitting & Disassembly Issue, Independent PTO (Less Hi-Lo & Reverser) #4  

I usually attack the pto brake a little differently since that bearing support is always a bit of a hassle to get off. It can come off without removing the shaft but you only mention one snap ring. The upper shaft has an internal snap ring that needs to be compressed with needle nose while prying off the support. BUT,what I like to do is remove the small snap ring from the pin the pto brake band pivots on. Then drive the pin out. Then you can wiggle the band and operating arm out from behind the support. Assemble the new band to the arm and wiggle it back in place. Remove the second snap ring from the pin and tap it back through the support, operating arm and pin. You may ned to repeat that process a time or two since the brakeband needs to be adjusted. When finished, the inner snap ring is near impossible to get on, so I use an E-clip which is easier to install.

/ JD 2440 Splitting & Disassembly Issue, Independent PTO (Less Hi-Lo & Reverser) #5  

To my the JD 2440 is part of the 40 series tractors and they do not have a brakeband to stop the pto . They do have a brakedisc to stop the pto.
To remove the pto pack you need to remove the 5 socketheadscrews holding the drivegear to the pack. Then the circlip holding the pack inplace.Now the pack can slide rearwards an of the shaft.

/ JD 2440 Splitting & Disassembly Issue, Independent PTO (Less Hi-Lo & Reverser) #6  

IMG-20180223-WA0003.jpg

/ JD 2440 Splitting & Disassembly Issue, Independent PTO (Less Hi-Lo & Reverser) #7  

The 2440 series had a known issue with an internal hydraulic leak that limited pressure on the PTO leading to premature failure. I had to replace this line with a new part that avoids the bracket causing the worn hydraulic line. While in there a few shift levers and forks were replaced due to wear. Did you put any gauges on the hydraulic test ports before cracking the tractor? You really want to investigate this before you put all back together or else the problem is likely to occur. Easy to put the new line in while all is apart.

/ JD 2440 Splitting & Disassembly Issue, Independent PTO (Less Hi-Lo & Reverser) #8  

To my the JD 2440 is part of the 40 series tractors and they do not have a brakeband to stop the pto . They do have a brakedisc to stop the pto.
To remove the pto pack you need to remove the 5 socketheadscrews holding the drivegear to the pack. Then the circlip holding the pack inplace.Now the pack can slide rearwards an of the shaft.

Evidently you're unaware of this pto brake band(key 2) on 2440 tractors

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    95.2 KB · Views: 227
   / JD 2440 Splitting & Disassembly Issue, Independent PTO (Less Hi-Lo & Reverser) #9  

Thanks....different insides for different countries ?

/ JD 2440 Splitting & Disassembly Issue, Independent PTO (Less Hi-Lo & Reverser) #10  

DLTTrekkers
According to 2440 parts catalog 2440 with hyd pto but without hyd hi-lo have brake band in photo I previously posted and 2440's with hyd high-lo have a hyd pto brake disk

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    75 KB · Views: 151