Question for 5R Series Tractor Owners

/ Question for 5R Series Tractor Owners
If you have any questions about specific options when you go to build your 5R dont hesitate to ask. I have been through the build and spec process so many times I think I know more about these than my local salesmen. Ive been a die hard JD guy since I was old enough to walk. I guess you could say I eat sleep and breathe this stuff. My buddies tell me in another life I would have made a fine JD salesman hahaha.

/ Question for 5R Series Tractor Owners #22  
If you have any questions about specific options when you go to build your 5R dont hesitate to ask. I have been through the build and spec process so many times I think I know more about these than my local salesmen. Ive been a die hard JD guy since I was old enough to walk. I guess you could say I eat sleep and breathe this stuff. My buddies tell me in another life I would have made a fine JD salesman hahaha.
Thanks so much mbarber!! I will keep you posted on my progress!! By the way, what made you settle on the horsepower? Ever had a time when you wished you had selected more? For me, this is a once in a lifetime.purchase and I don't want to shortchanged myself.. yet, not go crazy overdone!

I like to have flexibility with these machines. I went with the 125 hp because it gives me the widest range of ability. Im in southwestern Pennsylvania so hills are common here. I farm on some rather steep terrain. When you mix steep hillside work with pulling heavier implements and the potential to also be turning your PTO, I just decided having as much available horsepower as possible in this range if tractor would be the best idea. I also plan to use this machine as a stand-in unit if one of my 6420 tractors goes down for repair. Not to mention i put 18.4R34 rears and 14.9R24 fronts on this thing so the additional rolling circumference will use a little more HP as well. But the trade off is increased flotation, smoother ride through the field, significantly more liquid ballast in the rear tires, and it gives the tractor a little more ground clearance and vertical reach with the loader mounted.

Personally I don稚 think you can have too much horsepower in this series of tractor. Its better to have more than you need then not enough. When I buy a unit I try to plan for everything I currently do with it, plus anything I may potentially do in the future. The extra horsepower may come in handy. I figure worst case scenario I wont need it all. Plus these tractors have the 540E pto option so if you do a lot of light pto work like mowing, you can save yourself fuel by running the pto in economy mode. You get full 540 pto shaft speed at 1650 engine rpm instead of the standard 540 at 2100. My 5075M also had this and when I mowed pastures I used the ePTO all the time. Saved me a ton of fuel and lowered the engine noise. Makes life a little nicer on the long days in the cab.

/ Question for 5R Series Tractor Owners #25  
I love the E-PTO Setting & use it for everything.

I removed the rpm limiting cable too lol

I totally agree on having more HP than you need because all 4 fluid filled robs power big time on hills & the trade off is well WORTH IT

Last edited:
   / Question for 5R Series Tractor Owners #26  
Agreed!

I dont fill the front tires. Only the rears. The fronts get enough weight between the front suitcase weights or the loader. I use Rimguard fluid. The 5R weighs in at 10,000lbs approximate shipping weight. My tire and wheel combination is larger than the stock size so that number will be higher. Plus the weight of liquid ballast and the loader / loader brackets, optional extras like larger 3pt hitch cylinders, front weight bracket, etc. This tractor will be sitting around 15,000lb if I had to guess. I know the 18.4R34 rear tires will hold 1,000lbs of ballast each. The shipping weight alone is 2,000lb more than the 5075M its replacing. Very stout tractor for its size. Deere does a good job balancing these things. Very heavy tractor but it is balanced in such a way that the weight works for you, not against you.

/ Question for 5R Series Tractor Owners #28  
I run a MX10 3pt Lift Type Cutter on steep hills W/O the loader so I need the Front Weight Plate & Fluid Filled Fronts.

The Heavier M & R Framed units wouldn't need the extra weight up front I'm sure.

Your going to have one NICE Unit :)

/ Question for 5R Series Tractor Owners #29  
You have a nice tractor on the way.

You will use it more than 6420 in the future. I myself have a 6430 premium and keep an eye on any review of the new 5R.

You forgot to mention the shorter wheelbase compared to the actual 5M or even the 6420. It's getting more maneuverable. You might loose some driving comfort on that but I think you ordered it with cab- and front axle suspension anyways. It's a great loader tractor.

Yes, you are right, this size of tractors is quite common in Europe. But very little review.

Do you have exact info which aftertreatment is installed. One report mentioned DPF only without urea, some other say the opposite.

You have a nice tractor on the way.

You will use it more than 6420 in the future. I myself have a 6430 premium and keep an eye on any review of the new 5R.

You forgot to mention the shorter wheelbase compared to the actual 5M or even the 6420. It's getting more maneuverable. You might loose some driving comfort on that but I think you ordered it with cab- and front axle suspension anyways. It's a great loader tractor.

Yes, you are right, this size of tractors is quite common in Europe. But very little review.

Do you have exact info which aftertreatment is installed. One report mentioned DPF only without urea, some other say the opposite.

Bavarian,

Thanks I cant wait to get the machine here. I`m thinking it will quickly become my go-to machine. My two 6420`s are in great shape but I`m starting to consider turning them over on new ones. I`d like to replace them with a 6130R w/ Loader and a mid-size 6R (probably a 6145R) down the road.

I was a little concerned about the short wheelbase being "bumpy" in the field, but I opted away from the cab suspension. I`ve never had a tractor with cab suspension and I felt, in this case, I could do without it. I did increase the size of the tires. My 5M had the 12.4R24 / 18.4R30 combination, on this new 5R I went with 14.9R24 front and 18.4R34 rears. I think the increased diameter of the tire will help to reduce the roughness in the field enough for what I do. I think cab suspension was a $1,500 option. Just didnt think it was necessary, and to be honest, yet another wear item / maintenance item down the road.

As far as the emissions system, the North American 5R series tractors use a combination of Cooled EGR, DOC / DPF, and DEF to meet FT4 emissions standards. I am curious to see how this setup performs over the long term. I`m not afraid of the emissions systems now. They have made significant improvements since they started using them. The addition of DEF should actually improve the performance of the emissions system and reduce the need for such high exhaust temps. When I toured the Waterloo tractor assembly plant last year, the tour guide said Deere has gotten to the point that their engines meet about 90-98 percent of the emissions standards without the need for DEF, they just added the systems to get them that last 2-10% which is pretty impressive. The European market 5R tractors do not need DEF, I believe they only use the cooled EGR and DPF. You can tell the difference by looking at the exhaust stack. Tractors with the DEF will show a big "bulge" at the base of the corner post exhaust, this is the chamber where everything is burned out. The euro versions just have a straight up exhaust stack. You can also look on the other side of the tractor at the fuel tank. The DEF machines have a green cap for diesel fuel and a smaller blue cap for the DEF tank just below the main fuel tank. The 4.5 L engines are incredibly reliable and very stout for their size. They`ve been flawless performers in both of my 6420 tractors. This new PWX version uses a structural oil pan (the oil pan is built into the frame of the tractor) this gives the tractor a scalloped shape which allows the front axle to steer tighter, and is also supposed to increase the strength of the machine. From what I read it also reduces stress on the engine. Time will tell!

I will be doing the full video review of all of the features once the tractor gets here. I will go over all of the changes from the 5M to the 5R and all of the features. Stay tuned!