6410 steering cylinder removal

/ 6410 steering cylinder removal #1  

hozjob

Tractor
John Deere 6410
I need to reseal the steering cylinder on my 6410. How do you get the cylinder removed from the axle housing?

/ 6410 steering cylinder removal #2  
hozjob
There are different options for the 6410, and a screen shot of those from jdparts is shown here. A pic of what you have also may help, but more info possibly needed.
John Deere - Parts Catalog

Attachments

• 6410_steering_choices.jpg
    6410_steering_choices.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 519
   / 6410 steering cylinder removal
AL113744 is the part I'm trying to remove

/ 6410 steering cylinder removal #4  
Ahh, see it. And nut key#1 or #3 won't come off?

Attachments

• 6410_steering_cyl.jpg
    6410_steering_cyl.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 1,541
I've got the nut off, just can't get it out of the housing. Wasn't sure if there is a trick to it? or if I'm missing a pin or some other type of keeper.

/ 6410 steering cylinder removal #6  
Please report how difficult the proceedure was in the end. Mine leaked quite bad. I suspect dirt gets on those rods easily and takes out the seals. Anyway, I took one look at it and brought it to my independant Menonite JD shop.

/ 6410 steering cylinder removal #7  
Please report how difficult the proceedure was in the end. Mine leaked quite bad. I suspect dirt gets on those rods easily and takes out the seals. Anyway, I took one look at it and brought it to my independant Menonite JD shop.
Did you remove both banjobolts from the silinder ?

/ 6410 steering cylinder removal #8  
No, sorry. I took the machine to an (experts at JD) Menonite shop.

I found the cylinder itself was fairly easy to reseal.... if you do it while it's on the axle. However, removing it from the axle housing has me beat.