Newer JD - Cab air (A/C, Heat) fan does not blow

/ Newer JD - Cab air (A/C, Heat) fan does not blow #1  

RancherGuy

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3710; JD 5425, 6105R, 7130-P; IH 1086
I have an issue with a 2012 JD 6105R. This JD design has all of the cab temperature equipment (cold or hot) in the steering pedestal:
Parts - Steering Pedestal(smallFile).JPG
All of a sudden there is no fan. No matter what I set on the temp controls (heat / cold), there is no fan blower action. No action - as in no sound of a blower even trying. I checked every fuse and all are good. I have found nothing else failing except the blower. Here is the fuse layout:
Parts - Fuse Box List(smallFile).JPG
BTW, when the controls are "on" for A/C and the temp is cool enough, the A/C compressor is working - because cold air falls/sinks, I can feel cool air come out of the pedestal and fall onto my feet. So it seems that the controls are trying but not the blower.

Where do I go from here? Any ideas?

Attachments

• Parts - Steering Pedestal.JPG
    Parts - Steering Pedestal.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 4,406
   / Newer JD - Cab air (A/C, Heat) fan does not blow #2  
I have an issue with a 2012 JD 6105R. This JD design has all of the cab temperature equipment (cold or hot) in the steering pedestal:
View attachment 556817
All of a sudden there is no fan. No matter what I set on the temp controls (heat / cold), there is no fan blower action. No action - as in no sound of a blower even trying. I checked every fuse and all are good. I have found nothing else failing except the blower. Here is the fuse layout:
View attachment 556818
BTW, when the controls are "on" for A/C and the temp is cool enough, the A/C compressor is working - because cold air falls/sinks, I can feel cool air come out of the pedestal and fall onto my feet. So it seems that the controls are trying but not the blower.

Where do I go from here? Any ideas?

Find the blower motor and check that it’s getting power. If it is and still not working, replace

Brett

/ Newer JD - Cab air (A/C, Heat) fan does not blow #3  
It appears from viewing parts catalog that blower motor is under cab roof.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    41.3 KB · Views: 746
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    46.8 KB · Views: 2,023
   / Newer JD - Cab air (A/C, Heat) fan does not blow #4  
From what I found in the JD parts catalog it looks like the blowers are under the floor. Notice the duct work for the steering column comes from below.

Attachments

• 6105rsteeringcolumnducts.gif
    6105rsteeringcolumnducts.gif
    69.4 KB · Views: 3,270
  • 6105rblowers.gif
    6105rblowers.gif
    93.4 KB · Views: 3,117
   / Newer JD - Cab air (A/C, Heat) fan does not blow #5  
Blower motors are actually under the seat. Remove the seat and panel under the seat for access. Depending on which version of a/c you have, blower motors may be controlled by an electronic control unit(computer). Are you getting any codes displayed?

/ Newer JD - Cab air (A/C, Heat) fan does not blow #6  
I thought blower motor was under seat but didn't understand why parts catalog shows lines leading to top of cab. Can someone explain what lines I saw? Thanks,Jim

/ Newer JD - Cab air (A/C, Heat) fan does not blow
I feel like I am being asked by Monty Hall to choose door #1, #2 or #3 (roof, floor, seat) for the blower location.

I am going to eliminate the roof. My 5425 cab has ducts in the ceiling (only in the ceiling), so it makes sense to run a/c lines up and place the heater core and condenser up above for that design. However my 6105 and 7130 both have all ducts located only on the steering pedestal. That leaves floor and seat.

I was thinking that the blower was deep inside the pedestal, but now I am doubting. I have removed the steering wheel, tilt collar and large pedestal shroud that has the vents. I can clearly see ducts and butterfly valves but no blower, yet. How to take this further apart is perplexing. Definitely a complex design that requires expensive service if service is required.

As I look at Zebrafive diagrams, I see a probable match. Now the question is how to access. Maybe I should remove the rubber floor and look for an access panel?

/ Newer JD - Cab air (A/C, Heat) fan does not blow
I wish I understood the overall design here. My first attack was the operator control box. This is the box in the ceiling where one selects temperature and blower speed. I took the box out and disassembled it and found that it is only a circuit board with knobs. That means it only handles low amperage. Seems to me that between that and a blower motor or a/c compressor clutch or butterfly valves, there must be one or more other pieces such as relay(s) or another circuit board. Would this be the possible design? If relays or another board don't show up on the fuse panel layout (or do they?), where would they be? The fan speed is continuously variable; not one of those low-med-high selectors - so how is the voltage/amperage controlled?

My gut tells me a fuse or relay went out. One day a/c, the next nothing. No burning smell and nothing intermittent or diminishing between the two that would imply anything but electrical. I am considering seeing if the following would be possible. Remove the control box from my 7130 and see if it would plug into the 6105, and vice versa. They look very similar and if this is possible at least it would tell me if the $400+ control box is responsible. If they are not swappable, I am concerned that I will not find the cause even if I find the blower.

/ Newer JD - Cab air (A/C, Heat) fan does not blow #9  
I wish I understood the overall design here. My first attack was the operator control box. This is the box in the ceiling where one selects temperature and blower speed. I took the box out and disassembled it and found that it is only a circuit board with knobs. That means it only handles low amperage. Seems to me that between that and a blower motor or a/c compressor clutch or butterfly valves, there must be one or more other pieces such as relay(s) or another circuit board. Would this be the possible design? If relays or another board don't show up on the fuse panel layout (or do they?), where would they be? The fan speed is continuously variable; not one of those low-med-high selectors - so how is the voltage/amperage controlled?

My gut tells me a fuse or relay went out. One day a/c, the next nothing. No burning smell and nothing intermittent or diminishing between the two that would imply anything but electrical. I am considering seeing if the following would be possible. Remove the control box from my 7130 and see if it would plug into the 6105, and vice versa. They look very similar and if this is possible at least it would tell me if the $400+ control box is responsible. If they are not swappable, I am concerned that I will not find the cause even if I find the blower.

I would NOT do this swap. It's not worth the risk of a $400 part (especially an electronic part) to see if it will work. You may ruin the good part if there is a short that took out the first control unit.

Tech manual might be a better investment.

/ Newer JD - Cab air (A/C, Heat) fan does not blow #10  
I feel like I am being asked by Monty Hall to choose door #1, #2 or #3 (roof, floor, seat) for the blower location.

I am going to eliminate the roof. My 5425 cab has ducts in the ceiling (only in the ceiling), so it makes sense to run a/c lines up and place the heater core and condenser up above for that design. However my 6105 and 7130 both have all ducts located only on the steering pedestal. That leaves floor and seat.

I was thinking that the blower was deep inside the pedestal, but now I am doubting. I have removed the steering wheel, tilt collar and large pedestal shroud that has the vents. I can clearly see ducts and butterfly valves but no blower, yet. How to take this further apart is perplexing. Definitely a complex design that requires expensive service if service is required.

As I look at Zebrafive diagrams, I see a probable match. Now the question is how to access. Maybe I should remove the rubber floor and look for an access panel?

If jd110 says it's under the seat that's where I'd look. When I said under the floor, I was going by what the parts catalog shows and would include under the seat as also under the floor.

As complicated as this tractor is, I would buy the tech manuals.