Tractor
    John Deere 5205

Default Alternatives to liquid gold AKA HyGard.....

Getting ready to refill the tranny/hydraulics on my 5205 and don't like the idea of having to drop close to $200 on 11 and change gallons of HyGard. Are there other brands that are equivalent? Can they be mixed with HyGard?

Thanks,
    Jim

Tractor
    '11 Deere 1026R

Default Re: Alternatives to liquid gold AKA HyGard.....

It was recently brought to my attention that Schaffer oil is claimed to operate better in Deere equipment that was originally filled with HyGard. I've no idea the cost, you need a secret handshake to buy it out of some guy's van via pyramid scheme. You can say the same about Amsoil too. When shopping for a cheaper oil, just remember that J20C and J20D are quite different. So, best to stay away from any oil that claims to be compatible with both. I use Hygard, it's about $70/5gal around here. It's just not worth it to me to experiment with other oils.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_X485, JD_425, JD_455, JD_110

You'll get what you pay for.. old and true saying. And life is full of choices and chances..

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200

Quote Originally Posted by XSKIER View Post
    It was recently brought to my attention that Schaffer oil is claimed to operate better in Deere equipment that was originally filled with HyGard. I've no idea the cost, you need a secret handshake to buy it out of some guy's van via pyramid scheme. You can say the same about Amsoil too. When shopping for a cheaper oil, just remember that J20C and J20D are quite different. So, best to stay away from any oil that claims to be compatible with both. I use Hygard, it's about $70/5gal around here. It's just not worth it to me to experiment with other oils.
    Isn't the difference between J20C and J20D the viscosity? Something like summer weight and winter weight?

No big deal. Run 'em 'till they blow!

eta

Schaffer make good lubricants!