John Deere 336 Baler

/ John Deere 336 Baler #1  

slowzuki

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030 HSTC, MF 5455, Kubota M120, Allis Chalmers 7010
Good morning everyone,

There isn't much deere equipment in our area but a friend has a 336 baler for sale. It seems in good shape, any opinions on this baler? Anything to look for? How much hp would this thing need (Older balers seem to need less)

It has an auger to feed hay over which I'm not fond of, the other baler I've used with an auger would get all bound up if there was the slightest burr on it.

I htink I may get someone to check the knotter, I grabbed the pieces and they didn't wobble on the shafts. The bale chamber had some surface rust from sitting but nothing serious.

I noticed a pair of hydraulic hardlines on it that don't seem to go anywhere, I assume it once had a bale thrower or something on it?

The flyweel has double belt grooves so I think maybe an self powered option was available at one point. (Edit nevermind, I think its for a bale thrower!)

This baler in the picture is the same model but looks in much worse condition.
39282.jpg

/ John Deere 336 Baler
Well, I looked over the baler with some more knowledge and it still seems good!

The plunger is pretty tight on the rails, the shims don't look worn. The shear pin hole doesn't appear to be egged out from endless breakage. The knotter brake seems in good shape, it is running plastic twine which the YT people say can't be done with a worn out knotter.

The knifes are sharp, all the bearings seem good. The bale chamber is a bit surface rusty, there are bale resistors installed too. The needles look brand new, and the plunger stop looks like it has never been hit in action.

We may pick this puppy up yet!
Ken

/ John Deere 336 Baler #3  
The 336 was/is a great baler. I loaded many thousands of bales off the back of a 336. I plan to have one within the next year or two...only problem is my 24T hasn't had a mis-tie in the last thousand bales. Kinda hard to explain my need to the CFO /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If it is in good shape it should last a long time it taken care of.

Good luck and God bless,

/ John Deere 336 Baler #4  
Getting approval from the CFO can be tricky. Maybe sell the 24T and be baler-less for a few months. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif And I know a few people that would be able to help you unload the 24T. (My self included) /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ John Deere 336 Baler
I have read the late 24T and the early 336's are the same baler less some safety guards on the 24T. Of course I also read the knotter in the 336 has a needle bearing in one spot where the 24T uses a bushing. I've never seen a 24T in person though.

I like the more exposed design of the 336 than the MF224 I have been using. The 224 has no way so see when a bale is being tied from the outside and you can't hear the ka-chunk of the needles going. I don't like the auger though, I have cut too much hay out of IH baler augers.

/ John Deere 336 Baler
Bought the JD336 last night for 2100$ Canadian. The seller ran some bales through it for me to test it out first. After paying he tells me a broken thrower comes with it too!!! Woot hoo! Usually the pickup sceen for the pump is just clogged.

It is about a 1985 model, it has been stored inside it's entire life and really is in good shape! The jack needs some work, someone has driven away with the jack down before (hmm, I wouldn't know anyone who has done that.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

It has a funky hitch extended on it, It goes on the drawbar and has some guides. Anyone know about these?

The knotters are really easy to grease and I like the gear drives on them. The chain for the packer forks is a normal chain too! Easier to replace!

Look forward to lots of good bales!
Ken

/ John Deere 336 Baler #7  
I think the funky hitch has to do with keeping the pto angles "better". Been too long, but I think other JD balers have that as well.

Enjoy!

Ron

/ John Deere 336 Baler #8  
Would you kindly explain to me what kind of baler JD 336 is? Is it the middle of the line? What size hay field would it be perfect for? I have read articles but never seen a baler with eyes. Much to learn.
Thanks.

/ John Deere 336 Baler
From what I'm told it is a middle of the line square baler. The 346 is the older wide pickup high capacity model.

Lots of people do 10's of thousands of bales a year with a 336.

It is a direct descendant of the 24 and 14's JD's, the parts and operation is almost identical. The newer models are 337 and 338, with the 338 having a wider pickup. The parts are all basically identical.

Ken

/ John Deere 336 Baler
Here are some pics of the 336 sandwiched between the MF 224 and 228 we are also using:

MikePA: Removed inline image that was wider than 640. Please see attachment.

Attachments

• 472775-DSC07515.JPG
    472775-DSC07515.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 4,976