John Deere 2240 pros/cons

/ John Deere 2240 pros/cons #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
I have a friend who is selling a JD 2240. I know the specs but have no idea of this tractors reputation. What are the problem areas on this tractor. It would basically be used to run a rake but might also find itself hooked to a 9' discbine or a 12' disc.

/ John Deere 2240 pros/cons #2  
I don't know the good/bad specifics on the 2240 but they are nimble, nice driving machines...if well-maintained. I once drove a 2150 that felt really tired.

My neighbor used to have one of the early 2440s, a '75 or '76 if I recall. He used that tractor for everything for about 20 years.

Is this 2240 an older one or the newer model with the sloping hood and the black bracketing around the model number? Direction reverser or a high-low? 2WD or MFWD? The MFWD on a 2240 would have a pre-Caster Action axle, so it wouldn't turn very tight.

I tend to be partial to blue utility tractors, but wouldn't think twice about a Deere utility of this era.

/ John Deere 2240 pros/cons #3  
We use a 2240 at the farm for scraping the barn yard. Have never had any serious trouble with it and it has over 2500 hr's on it with maintance consisting of an oil and filter change once a year not bad considering all the abuse it takes. It used to be used for hay but, since we got another 4020 it just sat there since everyone preffered the 4020's that is why it became a scraper tractor which mean's this is the last chore this tractor will do

/ John Deere 2240 pros/cons #4  
We have a JD 2240 -76 model. It has never failed us. My 80 year old father loves that tractor. It has often been asked to do the work that a larger tractor should have done but it has never failed us. It is just a great tractor.

/ John Deere 2240 pros/cons #5  
The issue that we've seen tend to revolve around the Emergency Brake. If it is left on (it is a band around the Differential Carrier) the brake lining can come off and contaminate the Hydraulic system. Drive the unit-does the Steering and Brakes work o.k.? If they do, you are probably good to go-

I will say, compared to the 50 or 55 Series, that the 30 or 40 Series were a very good Tractor overall-