Info on Used JD 224 Series Square Baler

/ Info on Used JD 224 Series Square Baler #1  

SunnyDaye

Tractor
JD 5103
A good friend of mine has come across a 30 yr old John Deere Series 224 square baler for sale. He asked me to check and see if anyone here might know anything about this series baler, His tractor has 42 pto hp and he wonders if that would be enough hp to operate the baler properly. (He doesn't plan on baling alot and the baler is in his price range.)
Any info would be great!

/ Info on Used JD 224 Series Square Baler #2  
I am not familar with the 224 but I think it must be in the generation before the the 336 and 346 balers. I have a 346 that I purchased in 1980 I think. I think a 42 pto horse tractor would pull it just fine. From all that I have heard John Deere has always built one of the better square balers. I have been very well pleased with the 346 that I have. I know that it being a Deere you will have some of the best parts support in the industry.

/ Info on Used JD 224 Series Square Baler #3  
I grew up on JD balers. Think the first ones I used were 24T, 24W (Twine and Wire), then 224 series, then 336. As I recall, they were basically the same design, just heavier with bigger model numbers.

The farmer I worked for did custom baling and we ran 2-3 balers ALL the time. They were bullet proof if you kept the knotters clean and dry and adjusted. We seldom had to re-adjust the knotters, but that takes some special talent and patience, along with a good instruction manual. The manual on knotters should be available online. They had some wear parts on the plunger, etc, and we ran them enough that we had to replace these occassionally. This would have been late 60s, early 70s.

We pulled them mostly with D17 Allis gas tractors (unsure of the HP), but they pulled them with ease.

I don't recall any issues with any of them dealing with gearboxes or frames, etc. We did have to replace the pickup tines all the time due to wear, but that was a nothing.

I don't have a clue how many bales we did per summer, but it was in the tens of thousands. We ran enough crew that we could pickup 2,000 bales per day and stack.

Ron

/ Info on Used JD 224 Series Square Baler #4  
The pto hp is fine -- only other possible issue is the tractor weight. Square balers move a lot of mass forward and backward with every stroke -- and a lighter weight tractor will get jostled pretty badly (along with the operator). I have an olf IH Model 46 and my A-C 5020 will pull it ... and will power it, but not at the same time. Sitting still, with the pto engaged the baler shakes the little tractor HARD! I use it with a Mahindra 6500 4WD (almost 9000 pounds with the loader excluiding bucket and the tires filled). With that weight the baler forces are noticeable, but negligible. If his tractor is a smaller CUT it may make for a pretty rough ride.

/ Info on Used JD 224 Series Square Baler #5  
not sure i've seen one of those model balers, but you cant go wrong w/ a jd baler. thats all we've ever owned except for 1 nh 77 hayliner w/pony motor. yor pto hp should be fine. the knotters are top notch and jd balers will produce a good even size bales. i currently run an old 24t behind a jd2010 gas no problems pulling it. i have even hooked it up to my jd 790 when getting it ready in the spring, it rocked the little 790 but i think it could pull it/bale w/ it in a pinch. as stated by someone else there are some wear parts that may need replacing after awhile but nothing too major. if its a good deal then i would probably grab it, if you don't like it you can always sell it later, jd baler usually hold a good resale value.

/ Info on Used JD 224 Series Square Baler
Hey thanks guys! This is just the info he was looking for. I sent him a link so he could read the replies and now he's all shook up over all the shakin' goin' on:rolleyes:Thanks again!

/ Info on Used JD 224 Series Square Baler #7  
I bale with a 224T. I have used it with a Fordson Dexta (39bhp). It is a good baler and easy to use.
Superdexta, Swatragh, County Derry. NI.

/ Info on Used JD 224 Series Square Baler #8  
On a john deere 224 baler can the plunger head come out the back of the bale chute to ckeck the plunger rollers? Or is that the only way it cones out?

/ Info on Used JD 224 Series Square Baler #9  
Welcome to TBN
Yes one needs to take plunger head out the rear of bale chamber to check wear on brgs(rollers) & guides.