Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar?

/ Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar? #1  

Coyote

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2000B & Skat Trak 1300D skid steer
These three tractors are within 3hp of my target of 30HP. They are so similar I can't determine the differences. They are all the same size, same 3 cy YM engine, etc. Can someone enlighten me? Why would JD need 3 so close to each other? Kind of like the Chevy Tahoe vs GM Yukon...same truck, different badges!

/ Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar? #2  
They are really different machines. The 790 is a budget no frills tractor with a standard straight geared transmission. The 3203 is a budget tractor also and has a simple 2-range hydrostatic transmission. The 3320 is a higher spec tractor with either a hydraulic shuttle shift clutch or E-Hydro transmissinon. There really ins't overlap if you crunch the numbers...

BTW I am sending you a PM.

/ Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar?
gamble77 said:
They are really different machines. The 790 is a budget no frills tractor with a standard straight geared transmission. The 3203 is a budget tractor also and has a simple 2-range hydrostatic transmission. The 3320 is a higher spec tractor with either a hydraulic shuttle shift clutch or E-Hydro transmissinon. There really ins't overlap if you crunch the numbers...

I have driven a 4710 with e hydro...how does shuttle shift work? Looks like the 3320 weighs more than the other two, where is the extra weight?

/ Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar? #4  
Coyote said:
gamble77 said:

I have driven a 4710 with e hydro...how does shuttle shift work? Looks like the 3320 weighs more than the other two, where is the extra weight?

For one thing, they all use different engines. The 790 has a 82 cid engine, the 3203's is 92 cid and the 3320 is 101 cid (all rounded up).

The 790 is a great machine...but it's an old design (mid 80's). The hydraulic capacities aren't as high as the other two, but would be quite adequate for most residential or farmette needs. The gear tranny is simple and robust. It's lighter then the other two machines (about 2200 lbs without the loader). It's also considerably cheaper then the other two.
Using gears is easy. Loader work would be a bit slower, but unless you're planning on using the tractor commercially, that probably wouldn't be a concern.
A great tractor for an owner who likes keeping things simple or doesn't want to spend a lot of money.

The 3203 is closer to the 3320. However, you cannot use the 3203 as a stationary power unit (couldn't run a chipper or log splitter, for example). Looking at the specs, the 3203 is what I'd call a plain jane 3320.
I bought my 790 to have enough power to run a chipper. That would require the tractor to operate as a power unit.
Since the 3203 is not capable of being used as a power unit, I wouldn't even consider that one...I wouldn't...doesn't mean you shouldn't.

The 3320 is the heaviest of the three (700 lbs over the 790, 200 lbs over the 3203). I'd guess a good part of that weight is the bigger engine (20 cid more then the 790, 10 cid more then the 3203) but doesn't put out much more HP then either. Deere doesn't list how much engine torque is produced but I'm sure the 3320 is quite a bit torquier then either of the other tractors.
The Power Reverser tranny has 12 forward and 12 reverse gears...quite versatile. Once a gear is selected, you use a lever to select forward, reverse or neutral. This is a nice transmission!
I looked at a 3320 last year. I'm quite happy with my 790's capabilities, but I really like that power reverser transmission. I strongly suggest you try it out!

I thought long and hard about trading up to that 3320. But, the 790 did the work...and it's almost paid off. Also, I have 2½ acres of my own plus a few acres I'm maintaining for a neighbor. I just don't need a bigger or more powerful tractor. And I definitely don't need the debt.
I know I'll get flamed for the next comment..but here goes. I also think the 790 will be operational longer then the other two...primarily due to it's extremely simplicity. I am one of those guys who really believes KISS.

/ Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar? #5  
[I know I'll get flamed for the next comment..but here goes. I also think the 790 will be operational longer then the other two...primarily due to it's extremely simplicity. I am one of those guys who really believes KISS.[/QUOTE]

If you get flamed I'll stand there with the fire extinguisher and put you out. Being a fellow 790 owner I will agree with Roy for a no frills machine this tractor delivers the most bang for the buck. Would a hydro tranny be nice? Maybe......But if I decide to pull a 2 bottom land plow Hydro is not the way to go. I don't do much loader work so shifting back and forth is no big deal and after a little while setting the throttle to the correct gear you need to accomplish the task is not a big deal. It's amazing that this style (aka gear tractor with no frills) is still going strong and probably will be hanging around for a long time .

/ Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar? #6  
I bought a 790 with 60" box blade and FEL with bucket and blade about 2 weeks ago and absolutely love it. It is perfect for what I need to do, maintain some dirt roads, push snow (yes we got over a foot on May 6th so I got to try the blade) and do a little loader work. I let a Yanmar 1610D go to get this and the 790 is a more modern and bigger version of it. If you don't do a lot of loader work I think this is a great tractor. But of course it is a lot more like what I grew up with than a hydro. Don't know how I could get use to the brakes on the left side and I rented a Kobota hydro once and put it through a fence because of the strange/unfamiliar controls. Heck I couldn't even get use to the Yanmar's throttle which is opposite of "US" tractors.

/ Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar?
<<The Power Reverser tranny has 12 forward and 12 reverse gears...quite versatile. Once a gear is selected, you use a lever to select forward, reverse or neutral.>>

Do you have to clutch or just switch the lever on the dash to reverse? That sounds great! My Yanmar is geared so shifting comes natural to me. Thanks for the detailed explanation!

/ Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar? #8  
Coyote said:
<<The Power Reverser tranny has 12 forward and 12 reverse gears...quite versatile. Once a gear is selected, you use a lever to select forward, reverse or neutral.>>

Do you have to clutch or just switch the lever on the dash to reverse? That sounds great! My Yanmar is geared so shifting comes natural to me. Thanks for the detailed explanation!

You've got to clutch to change gears and ranges. Once in a gear, it's all with the lever....
This type of transmission has been around a long time. Different manufacturers have different names for it.

/ Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar? #9  
I don't know why you'd get flamed. They've been making the tractor (790) for what? 15...20 years? Unchanged? It doesn't gey any simpler or reliable. I considered one a few years ago, but needed to swing a 6 foot bushhog at the time...Around $11,500 w/loader back then as I recall.

Add synchro/shuttle and electro/hydraulic PTO and I'm getting one....but then it would be a.....3320....and a touch more expensive.

/ Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar? #10  
I agree that the less complex and hence more easily servicable tractor for many users like the 790 and 990 will continue to be available for many years.

You don't have to be a skilled technician trained to service computerized, electronically controlled hydraulic units to work on a 790.

Or tracking down a LED error code and plugging your tractor into a hand-held computer to trouble shoot a problem is not something that happens for owner's of 790's or 990's, either.

But, I'm curious Roy, what do you mean that the 3203 can't be used for a stationary power source --- running a chipper or a log splitter?

Are you saying that they don't have an independent PTO??

Thanks. AKfish