Why Doesn't Deere Sell Boxblades?

/ Why Doesn't Deere Sell Boxblades? #11  
Re: Why Doesn\'t Deere Sell Boxblades?

I had the same grievance with my 513,the best thing I can suggest is do like I did,go to your local welder and mark out some 3/8" stock to match the sides and back of the cutter and weld to the cutter reinforce this area on the cutter.Now if you have a cutting torch and can weld the only thing you would have any $$$ is the 3/8" stock.Mine is vastly superior to what it was after I 1st bought it.I think the gearbox is adequate,its just the thin metal they use to build these things.

/ Why Doesn't Deere Sell Boxblades? #12  

Dealer was concerned about the weight on the 3PH with the MX6 even though the brochures showed it as on option. Thought about it and decided to go with the lighter unit. Being new to tractors & equipment, didn't have a strong enough reason to go with the MX6 (plus spend the $1000 extra). I like Hillbilly's solution of welding stronger plates to stiffen the sides. Hope he posts a picture. I don't have enough time w/ the cutter to say I made a wrong decision now but time will tell.

/ Why Doesn't Deere Sell Boxblades? #13  

JTD
I have the JD 513 Rotary CUtter, and reinforced the rear of the deck with some square tubing. This fix keeps the thin steel from bending, which happens mostly when backing up and plowing into dirt, etc. Doing it before it bends is a lot less work than having to bend the steel back straight.
I took the picture with some snow on the deck, hoping the square tubing would show better.

Attachments

• 9-111928-JD513.jpg
    9-111928-JD513.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 103
   / Why Doesn't Deere Sell Boxblades? #14  

Thanks for the pic. I'll take a look at mine today. I'm keeping my equipment at my neighbor's until my house & shop is built. He does heavy equipment & welding work, etc so modifying it should be easy.

/ Why Doesn't Deere Sell Boxblades? #15  

I've got the 513 behind my 790, too. I think the weight of the unit is a big factor. Sure, the 3PH is supposed to be able to lift more than the 513, but I was amazed at how light my front end felt when I first got the cutter. Soon as I'd finished the first mowing, I went to the dealer and picked up 4 of those front-end weights (~20Kg each, I think). Now its fine, but a heavier unit would make me nervous. Besides, I don't cut down much in the way of saplings... just knoking down the grass/weeds on a couple acres behind my barn.

/ Why Doesn't Deere Sell Boxblades? #16  

Hillbilly,
Can you post a pic of your modified 513? I have a 513 and, knock on wood, haven't had any problems, as of yet. But I plan on getting some heavy usage out of it this summer, since I am biting the bullet, and starting my own lawn & field maint. company at the end of this week.

/ Why Doesn't Deere Sell Boxblades? #17  

I wish that I had read a post like yours before using my 513 for the first time. Backed into a rock hiding in the grass. You are right - it is easy to bend but a bear to straighten.

/ Why Doesn't Deere Sell Boxblades? #18  

When I first read this I went to Deere's website to see what I could find. For some reason my computer couldn't deal with the construction attachments pdf file, so after some back and forth with Deere technical support I had them send me a hard copy. One thing about John Deere, they're on-line and technical and literature support beats the s%#t out of NH and Kubota! Anyway, they sent me, in about three days, a publication called " Construction Equipment - Attachment & Custom Engineering Guide". This catalog is basically a line art guide to what's available, it doesn't list sizes or weights of anything. It shows that JD does offer box scrapers. I don't know if they paint them JD green or yellow. I would imagine that they have the scraper made for them as a lot of implements seem to be contracted out. I bet the reason you don't see any JD branded box scrapers is that they are twice the price of an aftermarket scraper. I don't know that for sure, but I notice a lot of people avoid JD attachments due to the price.

It would be worth the time to order one of these catalogs, the range of attachments is amazing! A lot of the stuff is for heavy dozers and excavators but a lot of it, if not available for our smaller tractors, would be worth having built locally. A great idea book!