2520 With Rear Finish Mower Question

/ 2520 With Rear Finish Mower Question #1  

Runner

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520, 1989 John Deere 185, 1960 Panzer T70B
Hi all. I have ordered a new 2520 with iMatch and a Frontier GM1072R rear finish mower that is scheduled to be delivered next Friday. As a preemptive measure, I did a walk-through with the dealer yesterday to see how the setup was going and make sure everything was as ordered.

I was expecting the iMatch kit on the RFM to look like what is shown in the product literature (see attached picture), however, in place of the moveable top link as shown, the dealer has removed the two struts that lead to the rear of the mower and replaced them with chains. There is also another A-Frame installed in front of the one that comes standard on the mower.

My question is, has anyone ever seen one set up this way, particularly on this exact model of mower? I showed the brochure picture to the dealer and he said the one in the picture is a different model and swore up, down and sideways that this is the way Frontier says to set this mower up. Still, I have a hard time believing that there could be that much difference between one model and another from Frontier regarding this feature and it just doesn't look right to me.

The main problem I see with the chains is that they rub against the drive belt cover and will rub the paint off.

Any dealers out there who KNOW for sure how this is supposed to be set up?

Thanks.

Attachments

• imatch kit.jpg
    imatch kit.jpg
    535.5 KB · Views: 486
   / 2520 With Rear Finish Mower Question #2  
I can't help with your question, but I'm glad you asked. I have a 2520 on the way and will be adding a rear mower next spring. I'm interested to see how the 72"-er works for you.

/ 2520 With Rear Finish Mower Question
Jksnvly,

Gordnovo has a 2520 and was going to trade up to a 72"RFM last I read, but I haven't heard how he's doing with that yet. Maybe he'll chime in here.

I may have answered my own question about this setup issue. I have been unable to find any information from John Deere about this, but a check of the Woods website found the owner's manual for the RD72 rear finish mower, which is pretty much what Frontier buys from them and then paints green to market under their own brand.

That document shows the setup for a quick hitch with the chains as I was describing, so I'm pretty sure that is same for the GM1072R. See attached diagram from their manual for reference.

I'll be sure and report back on the performance of this unit. I have no doubt the tractor has the power to run it, but I'm extremely curious to see how it handles the weight, which is 678 lbs according to the specs. Even though RFM's ride on their own wheels, it will be interesting to see how the tractor handles that weight on side slopes and when the mower is raised for transport. I'm planning on mowing with the loader frame or front weights attached.

Runner

Attachments

• imatch kit 2.jpg
    imatch kit 2.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 440
   / 2520 With Rear Finish Mower Question #4  
Hi Runner, I never did report back..... I actually decided to stick with the 60" mower. I actually didn't even try the 72". If I went for the bigger mower I definitely would've needed front weights to give me better stability, especially on the slopes. I find that even with the 60" that I can make the front end lift a little if I accelerate quickly from a stand still on level ground. Given the amount of slopes we do in our yard, I didn't want to take any chances.

I'm really curious on how you make out with your setup.

Gord

/ 2520 With Rear Finish Mower Question
Gord,

What does that rear A-frame linkage look like on your rear finish mower? Seems like some of them may have solid metal bars with slots cut in them to accommodate some of the movement. Any pictures of yours available?

Also, I misspoke earlier, I think the Frontier GM1072R is actually closer to the Woods RD7200-2 and that manual shows the same chain rear linkage.

Runner