Frontier box blade

/ Frontier box blade #1  

GreatWhitehunter

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 110 TLB
Does anyone here own a Frontier box blade? My choices are between Frontier and Woods. My dealer has the Woods in stock and would need to order the Frontier. I will be using Imatch so fittment is a must. Also what size should I be considering? I have a 3320 so I need at least a 60", Woods also has a 68" I was considering. Any first hand experiances would be a plus.

Matt T.:D

/ Frontier box blade #2  
I've got a Frontier 6' BB to go with my 5103. Great implement and it fit's perfectly with my Imatch. I'd highly recomend.

As far as size goes, I'd try to match up as close to the width of your back tires as possible. Makes life easier that way.

Everyone here has good things to say about Woods equipment. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

I bought all Frontier implements b/c of Imatch compatability and the color looks good behind my tractor. I've been happy with them all (rake, BB, rear blade).

/ Frontier box blade #3  
I have a frontier BB2060 5 foot box blade. it seems to be made very well.
i think its around 450 to 500 pounds. i have no complaints with it.
seems to be made better than most.

Chris....:)

/ Frontier box blade #4  
As long as they both have the same number of scarifier teeth. I have a frontier and have been very happy with it. Mind you it's basically a big lump of steel I drag behind the 2520, not like it's going to break or anything.

/ Frontier box blade #5  
My view of Frontier is that it's only as good as whoever makes it, which isn't JD. For a time Woods was making some Frontier box blades, and of course those were as good as Woods branded models. Right now I don't think Woods makes any Frontier stuff, and the current boxblades come from a couple different companies. One of those is Worksaver, which is a good brand but not as good as Woods, IMHO. If the price is similar and the Woods will fit your iMatch, I would give a strong vote for Woods.

One other brand to look at, IMHO, is the Town And Country "Freedom Line" made by Unverferth. I have seen a number of their products and they are among the best looking in quality and finish that I have seen of any brand, including Woods, Landpride and Frontier. And they come in green (or three other colors) to match your JD. Prices I've seen are a bit less than Woods and Frontier prices I've seen.

/ Frontier box blade #6  
Woods does make the frontier box blades. all of them. just go to the woods sight and look at the woods blades thay are almost the same. except the frontier is a little more beefier than the woods. because thay were built to JD Specs. at least this is what my dealer say..;)

/ Frontier box blade
Chris, from what I can tell the Woods looks beefier. I haven't compared side by side. But the woods weighs more. I really like to have green implements (soothes me) but I don't want to pay more than I have to. I'm being quoted $750 for the 60" woods $825 for the 65" woods and $900 for the 72" woods.
My dealer is still checking on the Frontier prices. Tomorrow I'll call around and do some price checks but in the past my dealer has always been the cheapest. I want to see the Frontier with my own two eyes to make sure it's apples to apples. Anyone here using the Woods? It's been frontier baised thus far.

/ Frontier box blade #8  
Matt , I saw those specs too. but if you look at the picture close.
you can see there the same in every way. But the upper beems on the frontier going to the top link are a lot wider than the woods. i agree with you. you need to look at both. but to be honist. there both way over built. your not going to hurt them with a 3320. you will break the tractor before you break them. i was looking at mine. the box is almost 1/2 inch and the runners are 1 inch thick. you will tare that tractor apart before you hurt it.

thats my take on it.....:)

/ Frontier box blade #9  
Chris2520 said:
Woods does make the frontier box blades. all of them. just go to the woods sight and look at the woods blades thay are almost the same. except the frontier is a little more beefier than the woods. because thay were built to JD Specs. at least this is what my dealer say..;)

No, that's not correct. For a time, Woods was making many of the Frontier box blades - I don't think it was ever all of them, at least at the super heavy duty end - but now, Woods is making few if any of the Frontier boxes. For instance, Woods used to make the medium duty boxes, but as of a year or two ago they are now made by Worksaver.

The easy way to tell who made a Frontier product is to ask the dealer to see the owner's manual. The warranty page in the owner's manual will state who made the product - in fact, the warranty is from the product manufacturer, not JD or Frontier.

The other way to tell is to look at the construction methods. Woods uses scarifier teeth that are notched in front, while most other brands including Worksaver use teeth with holes in the middle for the height adjustment; Woods also uses very good welding in a very specific pattern, though this almost requires seeing both products side by side.

Any Frontier product will be at least decent quality, but there is significant variation depending on who made it. For me, even though my tractor is JD, I can't care less what color the implements are, and I only buy Frontier if it looks like the best deal - which it rarely seems to be. In some cases, the Frontier branded product may be better than the product marketed by the same manufacturer - e.g. Worksaver produces fairly heavy duty stuff for Frontier, but doesn't produce the same duty level under their own name. However, Woods stuff is very good with the dark yellow paint, and while Woods/Frontier may be as good, I doubt it would be any better.

I know it sounds like I'm going on a tirade here, but my personal experience with Frontier is that I paid $900 for a medium duty rear blade (angle blade) made by some Mexican company I've never heard of, while I could have bought a slightly heavier duty Woods blade for $1100. My Frontier/Mexican blade has proven to be weak and not all that well made, even though it is rated for a 60hp MFWD tractor and I am using it on a 50hp MFWD tractor. I have looked at all the implement brands I can find at dealers and at my local AG Expo and from what I see, Woods and Unverferth make the best stuff that is suitable for a tractor below 80hp.

/ Frontier box blade
Though I'm not sure who makes the Frontier. I appears that the Frontier has thicker steel than the woods. I still need an idea of the right size. I was thinking the 65" would be the best bet. But I also could go with the 72". Is that too much for my machine? If a 2520 can handle a 60" I'm pretty sure the 3320 won't have trouble with the 72". I should point out here in New England I can't stick my hoe in the ground with ount hitting sizeable rocks. Will the scarifiers have trouble with this? I'm trying to level my yard for a new lawn. I was using my rack but need to dig in more and drag dirt to the low spots.