2520 first impressions vs 2210

/ 2520 first impressions vs 2210 #1  

bheston

Okay, I took delivery of my 2520 last week. What a joy. Here are my first impressions after mowing 3 acres with the 62D deck:

1) In high range, I think my 2210 could propel the mower deck better. The 2520 seems to bog down in high range very easy under load. I could watch the tach drop down very low whereas my 2210 would just belch out some black smoke and keep on moving. I was cutting lower than normal so that may be the reason.
2) In high range using the loader is nearly useless. In low range the 2520 is like a tank! I love the low range power.
3) The 2520 scrubbs the tires on the loader mount when taking tight turns. I have turf tires. I don't like that but I can live with it. You would have thought the designers would have put the different tire sizes in to the solid modeling software and verified this interface.
4) The front hood latch catches on the hood guard bolt. The hood won't latch properly unless I manually pop the latch up.
5) The 2520 is a monster. I love the look and the low range power. All four wheels will spin rather than bogging the hydros. My 2210 would max out the hydros and not enjoy the stress of pulling heavy objects.
6) Clearly the 2210 was a mower that can do utility work while the 2520 is a utility tractor that can mow - no doubt in my mind.
7) The 2520 can offer more options in the future if I wanted to add a backhoe. I know the 2305 has a hoe option but my 2210 didn't seem like it would handle a hoe with the hyro specifications - I could be wrong.
8) I will certainly smash my garage door with the high ROPS. The 2210 fit great while I MUST remember to fold the ROPS. I and currently making a flat spot in my yard for a barn to house the 2520. The barn will have high doors to fit the 2520 without folding the ROPS.
9) My 2520 cam with a few scratches. I was dissapointed in the amount of nicks and scratches. JD could protect these a little better but if may have been my dealer for all I know.
10) 2520 has that tractor sound. My 2210 had a nice smooth sound but the 2520 has the "potatoe-potatoe-potatoe" sound when idling. No big deal when you throttle up.
11) The 2520 starts easier. My 2210 usually too a few cranks to get it going. The 2520 starts righ away.
12) The 2520 pulls the mower deck up upon startup. The 2210 required manually pulling the deck up after every over-night sitting. Not a big deal but it's nice to have that done for you.
13) The 2520 has a 4x4 indicator light on the dash. I like that. The 2210 did not.
14) The 2520 hyro speeds are amazing when working the loader. I can curl and lower at the same time. Very nice.
15) The 2210 was smaller and I could put the deck under trees much easier. The 2520 is as wide as the deck so I suspect I will be doing more weedeating.

Overall, I am very happy with the upgrade from 2210 to 2520. I can say the 2210 was awsome and if I would ever down-size my property, the 2305 would be my tractor of choice (unless I could find a used 2210). Right now, the 2520 is proving itself in excevatuing a flat-spot in my yard for my future barn. If I had to do over, I would have certainly traded my 2210 for the 2520. However, if you want a mower that can do utility work - get a 2210/2305. If you want a utility tractor that can mow - get a 2320/2520.

Just my opinion and what I have discovered in the last 5 days.

Kind regards,
Brian K Heston

/ 2520 first impressions vs 2210 #2  
Brian,

Nice and honest write up! :) Hopefully some future owners will learn from your experience.

/ 2520 first impressions vs 2210 #3  
Hi Brian how long does it take you to mow 3 acres in low range? Are you mowing pasture or homesite w/ trees.

Regards, Martin

/ 2520 first impressions vs 2210 #4  
Great question how long does it take you to mow 3 acres? with what kind of mower? How does it finish cut ? how close can you mow to trees?

As you can tell I think I am in the same boat 6acres with no tractor besides my JD lawn tractor. Thanks for the input.

/ 2520 first impressions vs 2210 #5  
Brian , I am glad you like your 2520. :)
Your right about high range , i only use it for transport.
as for scratches. mine had none. I would of complained..:(
but it would most likely do no good. and you are right it is
a monster ;) specialy with loader work. as for the hood latch
not closeing without releaseing it. it needs adjusting. mine dont do that and it closes just like a car. as for hood gaurd being in the way. just twist the little
knob on the left side and fold it forward before you open the hood.
and it will be out of your way. as for front tires rubbing . i cant answer that.
cause i dont have turf tires. i have R4's and mine dont rub. maybe someone with turfs can chime in , and let you know if theres rub. and for the ropes. yes you got to remember to folder them , Guess how i know..:) yes my gutter is smashed...:( and as you mentioned. you most certainly need a backhoe. you can do lots with it.
the little tractor is a beast. and you will be amazed at what you will be able to do with it. i know i was.
Good Luck. and be sure to post pictures...;)

Chris.....:)

/ 2520 first impressions vs 2210 #6  
I did some mowing with my 2520. I mowed my deer foodplot. It was 4 feet tall, and I mowed it with a LX4 (4 foot flail mower).
The foodplot was 7 acres, and I was done mowing it in 3 hrs exactely. I ran it wide open in Low range.

/ 2520 first impressions vs 2210
It only takes me about 3 hours to mow my 3 acres. That incudes all trimming. I could get it done much, much, faster if I didn't stripe cut. There are very few trees. It's mainly hill-side. The 2210 was amazing how I could get under my spruce trees. The 2520 can do it but I get wacked a bit more by the limbs. The turning rad on the 2520 has got to be less but it's not too bad. I can do a complete circle around my blue spruce trees easily with the 2210 and just fine with the 2520 which is what I was most concerned.

I did live in town and had a small city lot and mowed with my trusty Craftsman rider. When I moved 3-years ago we bought a house with 6.25 acres. A local farmer makes hay on about 3 acres and I mow the rest. The 2210 was PERFECT. After a while, I bought a loader. Once I had the loader, I began taking on larger projects. It started getting to the point that I was using +80% of the 2210 capacity. That's when I decided to upgrade to the 2520.

/ 2520 first impressions vs 2210
I use the 62D mid mount mower. I'm surprized how well it cut. I borrowed my neighbors Steiner with a 72 inch deck and roller. The Steiner had the Deere beat hands down when it comes to grooming a lawn. However, the Deere can do about everthing else better. The Steiner's traction was horrible (this was a 2wd model).

Even still, the Deere's 62D mid mount mower impressed me and I am very pleased I went with it.

/ 2520 first impressions vs 2210 #9  
bheston said:
Okay, I took delivery of my 2520 last week. What a joy. Here are my first impressions after mowing 3 acres with the 62D deck:

1) In high range, I think my 2210 could propel the mower deck better. The 2520 seems to bog down in high range very easy under load. I could watch the tach drop down very low whereas my 2210 would just belch out some black smoke and keep on moving. I was cutting lower than normal so that may be the reason.
2) In high range using the loader is nearly useless. In low range the 2520 is like a tank! I love the low range power.
3) The 2520 scrubbs the tires on the loader mount when taking tight turns. I have turf tires. I don't like that but I can live with it. You would have thought the designers would have put the different tire sizes in to the solid modeling software and verified this interface.
4) The front hood latch catches on the hood guard bolt. The hood won't latch properly unless I manually pop the latch up.
5) The 2520 is a monster. I love the look and the low range power. All four wheels will spin rather than bogging the hydros. My 2210 would max out the hydros and not enjoy the stress of pulling heavy objects.
6) Clearly the 2210 was a mower that can do utility work while the 2520 is a utility tractor that can mow - no doubt in my mind.
7) The 2520 can offer more options in the future if I wanted to add a backhoe. I know the 2305 has a hoe option but my 2210 didn't seem like it would handle a hoe with the hyro specifications - I could be wrong.
8) I will certainly smash my garage door with the high ROPS. The 2210 fit great while I MUST remember to fold the ROPS. I and currently making a flat spot in my yard for a barn to house the 2520. The barn will have high doors to fit the 2520 without folding the ROPS.
9) My 2520 cam with a few scratches. I was dissapointed in the amount of nicks and scratches. JD could protect these a little better but if may have been my dealer for all I know.
10) 2520 has that tractor sound. My 2210 had a nice smooth sound but the 2520 has the "potatoe-potatoe-potatoe" sound when idling. No big deal when you throttle up.
11) The 2520 starts easier. My 2210 usually too a few cranks to get it going. The 2520 starts righ away.
12) The 2520 pulls the mower deck up upon startup. The 2210 required manually pulling the deck up after every over-night sitting. Not a big deal but it's nice to have that done for you.
13) The 2520 has a 4x4 indicator light on the dash. I like that. The 2210 did not.
14) The 2520 hyro speeds are amazing when working the loader. I can curl and lower at the same time. Very nice.
15) The 2210 was smaller and I could put the deck under trees much easier. The 2520 is as wide as the deck so I suspect I will be doing more weedeating.

Overall, I am very happy with the upgrade from 2210 to 2520. I can say the 2210 was awsome and if I would ever down-size my property, the 2305 would be my tractor of choice (unless I could find a used 2210). Right now, the 2520 is proving itself in excevatuing a flat-spot in my yard for my future barn. If I had to do over, I would have certainly traded my 2210 for the 2520. However, if you want a mower that can do utility work - get a 2210/2305. If you want a utility tractor that can mow - get a 2320/2520.

Just my opinion and what I have discovered in the last 5 days.

Kind regards,
Brian K Heston
I went from a STX-38 in the mid 90's to a GT225 in the late 90's, to a 4100 in the early 2000's to a 4310 this year and I have loved every transition I made!:), More power, More Power:D