MADE IN CHINA on JD

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / MADE IN CHINA on JD #71  
MessickFarmEqu said:
I've got nothing against Deere for getting stuff from China, its a global market and thats what they need to do inorder to stay competitive.

What I do have a problem with is how they continue to market themselves as the "all-american" tractor company, which they clearly are not.

What marketing do you mean? I have yet to see a JD add on TV or when they are in the paper that even has "all" or "american" stated or listed. It might be a regional thing or I need to get out more...:)

/ MADE IN CHINA on JD #72  
MessickFarmEqu said:
I've got nothing against Deere for getting stuff from China, its a global market and thats what they need to do inorder to stay competitive.

What I do have a problem with is how they continue to market themselves as the "all-american" tractor company, which they clearly are not.

MessickFarmEqu are you sure that is your problem? I think in the past you have proved you are a bitter dealer that loses tons of sales to John Deere.

I think your real problem lies in the fact John Deere products out sell any of the products you sell, which in turns makes you upset at John Deere.

For what it's worth since you rep other brands in the tractor world, do you really think it is legitimate and professional to be coming on boards and trying to trash talk a competitors brand?

Have you heard of the saying " when you got nothing nice to say don't say it?" I think that would serve you wonders in your sales job. I can only imagine how many customers you lose that come in talking about John Deere and you start talking smack.

To each their own but I think you should keep your views out of John Deere since you clearly have motives.

Cheers

/ MADE IN CHINA on JD #73  
Oh give me a break. I'm allowed to have an opinion just like anyone else. Just because I sell tractors does not mean I have some crazy biased view on things. Infact, if anything the fact if anything I think it makes you more objective since you see dozens of brands every day.

Ya know what, New Holland does it too. Alot of people come in here wanting to buy Blue because they think its domesticly made, many think they are made at the plant thats 30 minutes away from us. I have the integrity to point out to my customers that their impression of the product is not the case. They're made in Japan just like the orange and green ones. Its time the manufacturers and the dealers of all brands fess up to the true origins of their products.

/ MADE IN CHINA on JD #74  
Maybe I am completely wrong (I have been a few times in the past) but I have yet to find any "all-american" references and/or US flags in John Deere's marketing materials... They do admit that they are a "publicly held company incorporated in Delaware", and are "one of the oldest industrial companies in the United States" - facts, not flag waving - at least in my opinion... Everything I see on deere.com talks about how they are a "global" company with around 47,000 employees around the world. Would you mind showing me what I am missing?

/ MADE IN CHINA on JD #75  
bigtiller said:
Back in the early 80s, managers at the Des Moines plant started asking us for our ideas. We didn't like the "made in china" stamped on all the castings. We suggested replacing that with "Union made in Iowa". the companies response was - we would loose too many sales because of the word union. It seams china is a better word than union.
I'm not really understanding what you've said. Are you saying just changing the stamp or really union made? Are you talking about any J.D. workers in USA or actual union workers? I'll wave the flag here and say Yes, it can be built in USA better, cheaper, by Americans, and sold in our own country cheaper than imported from another country if the politics were thrown out of the equation. My beliefs, and no need for responce.

/ MADE IN CHINA on JD #76  
I have nothing against imports; but I am sick and tired of every thing coming from China and it's all crap in quality. With Chinese junk, to buy cheap is to buy four or five times.

I don't use my cell phone often, let alone abuse it; but I had my Motorola Razor for less than 2-months when I had it replaced under warranty. I'm arguing with Sandisk over the 1GB memory chip I bought for the thing that is bad. What is the common thread on these two new products? Made in China.

I would have kept my old analog Motorola; but Verizon is discontinuing analog service. I had that Motorola for 9-years without a problem.

/ MADE IN CHINA on JD #77  
mjncad said:
I have nothing against imports; but I am sick and tired of every thing coming from China and it's all crap in quality. With Chinese junk, to buy cheap is to buy four or five times.

I don't use my cell phone often, let alone abuse it; but I had my Motorola Razor for less than 2-months when I had it replaced under warranty. I'm arguing with Sandisk over the 1GB memory chip I bought for the thing that is bad. What is the common thread on these two new products? Made in China.

I would have kept my old analog Motorola; but Verizon is discontinuing analog service. I had that Motorola for 9-years without a problem.

And the flip side, I've washed my Moto Q, and dropped it hard six or seven times. It allows me to talk, and stay connected to the internet via VPN at the same time. It's got the latest digital quality plan, and cost less combining all that service than the old verizion analog and insert cable company. And I get better coverage too now that the big-V is like, everywhere.

I abuse it. I am hard on it..... it has impressed me and is part of the toolset that I use for everyday life.

Hmmmmmmmmmm..........

-Mike Z.

/ MADE IN CHINA on JD #78  
JDCAN said:
Regardless who is right or wrong, I think the main thing people forget is IT IS NOT A BAD THING to help out less fortunate people overseas by providing them with some work and a way to bring up the standard of living for those people.

At the expense of American's losing their jobs? I'm guessing you've never had to go home and explain to your family why you got laid off. I have. Not fun. America became THE world leader it is because of it's manufacturing prowess over the last 100 years. We can't live on a service based industry forever. I'll pay you to fix my plumbing and you pay me to fix your furnace. Its not easy changing professions when you are upper middle aged and can't afford to cut your pay in half to start learning another trade.

The original post about made in China on the side post castings can be summed up in a few sentences. American iron casters for a long period stuck together and kept their prices up at a profit while machine shops slashed their prices to keep the doors open hoping for sunnier days. Deere and many other major players cut costs by going to China. This transferred the environmental byproduct overseas. But the local byproduct is many, many families displaced by unemployment.

Global Macroeconomics is a very dynamic subject. One of the major problems about trading with China that I haven't seen brought up yet is the fact that they keep the value of their currency low. This is done through a complicated means. They want to keep their products cheap to us and our products expensive to their consumers. If they allowed their currency to float on the world market like the rest of us do, it could mean their products could double or triple in cost putting them on par with many of ours. They CAN'T let this happen due to their economic goals.

I keep seeing references to Japan and how we "brought them along up to where they are". Well, Japan is a drop in the bucket compared to China. Bringing China up to par will bankrupt us. Japan learned early on (from an American none the least) that quality is where its at. They adopted it as a country, not just as a single facility.

There are machine shops closing across America on a weekly basis.

/ MADE IN CHINA on JD #79  
Kyle expressed my sentiments exactly.
I've been refraining from this thread since this would go too political too fast...so, I'll leave it at that.

/ MADE IN CHINA on JD #80  
Kyle_in_Tex said:
At the expense of American's losing their jobs? I'm guessing you've never had to go home and explain to your family why you got laid off. I have. Not fun. America became THE world leader it is because of it's manufacturing prowess over the last 100 years. We can't live on a service based industry forever. I'll pay you to fix my plumbing and you pay me to fix your furnace. Its not easy changing professions when you are upper middle aged and can't afford to cut your pay in half to start learning another trade.

The original post about made in China on the side post castings can be summed up in a few sentences. American iron casters for a long period stuck together and kept their prices up at a profit while machine shops slashed their prices to keep the doors open hoping for sunnier days. Deere and many other major players cut costs by going to China. This transferred the environmental byproduct overseas. But the local byproduct is many, many families displaced by unemployment.

Global Macroeconomics is a very dynamic subject. One of the major problems about trading with China that I haven't seen brought up yet is the fact that they keep the value of their currency low. This is done through a complicated means. They want to keep their products cheap to us and our products expensive to their consumers. If they allowed their currency to float on the world market like the rest of us do, it could mean their products could double or triple in cost putting them on par with many of ours. They CAN'T let this happen due to their economic goals.

I keep seeing references to Japan and how we "brought them along up to where they are". Well, Japan is a drop in the bucket compared to China. Bringing China up to par will bankrupt us. Japan learned early on (from an American none the least) that quality is where its at. They adopted it as a country, not just as a single facility.

There are machine shops closing across America on a weekly basis.
You hit the nail on the head. Knew I shouldn't have looked at this thread again, but what options do we have. Most of the people involved are in office. The peoples wish and vote doesn't seem to mean much anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.