Buying Used Tractor In Canada to Bring back to the States

/ Buying Used Tractor In Canada to Bring back to the States #1  

blaplante

Tractor
John Deere 4300/430Loader, JD216
Hello,

I am looking at a used tractor in Canada (only about an 1 1/2 hours from home here in Western NY). Tractor is a JD 4310. Does anyone have experience in similiar dealings? I have searched forums and Customs website. It seems there is no duty to pay at the border when bringing tractor home, but is this the only thing I have to be concerned about? Is there any sales tax, forms I would need to have, other costs to factor in, etc. Any pitfalls others have experienced that I can avoid. This would be for private use on our property. Ive seen info posted on buying a tractor in the US and taking to Canada, but not the other way around.

Thanks for your input and information.

Brian

/ Buying Used Tractor In Canada to Bring back to the States #2  
Um.. the rest of us contemplate buying tractors in the US and bringing them to Canada instead of the other way around! Compared to up here you guys get a much better deal given the exchange rates.

Importing from the U.S.A. to Canada appears to be very little hassle - based on what others who have done it have said. I don't know about the other way around but you are probably going to be one of the very very few who are doing it.

Heck - I'll bet that if you bought from one of the states like Michigan where prices tend to be lower, and got it shipped, you would do much better than buying from Canada.

/ Buying Used Tractor In Canada to Bring back to the States #3  
baplante:

Just checked out tractorhouse and there are a number of worthy 4310s there. One really really nice one in NY with a 300 CX loader.

/ Buying Used Tractor In Canada to Bring back to the States #4  
You will have to go through custom's and a whole slew of Custom forms, and or a broker. Trust I just went through this and is was a pain - " doing it the legal way" And you will have to pay the tax and duty broker fees etc. etc.

/ Buying Used Tractor In Canada to Bring back to the States
thanks for the replies, let the deal go, probably for the best as i have no experience with customs and not very good luck when it comes to govt. forms anyways!

I saw the 4310 you mentioned above- looks like a great tractor, price is a little high for what Im looking to spend.

The search continues....