4710 ABILITY

/ 4710 ABILITY #1  

Anonymous Poster

I am interested in knowing what the limits are on the 4710.
Lets hear what you use your tractor for and what it can or cant do, like what size disk you may use, 2 or 3 bottom plow, maybe backhoe work, maybe loader work. I would like to know at what point did you tell yourself "I wish I bought a bigger tractor". The reason I am interested is, my dealer is pushing the 4 series over the 5 series for my application. He said " it's are to believe how much you can do with the 4710". He has both in stock so I dont think its an inventory issue. Lets hear the stories, talk me into or out off buying the 4 series. Thanks for your input. Ken

/ 4710 ABILITY
Ok you first... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Tell us what you have to do with a tractor...

...then tell us what you wish to do in the future with a tractor...

How many acres, what's your $$$ budget, what is the #1 thing you plan on doing over 80% of the time with this tractor..?

Ok put the quarter in the slot and... Fire away.../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ 4710 ABILITY #3  
I went with my 4700 for a few reasons instead of a 5310:

1. HAD to have HST (I am lazy and wanted the easiest to operate drive system)
2. HST allows my wife, dad, and friends to easily come over and cut my lawn when I don't feel like doing it. (about 12 acres 2-3 times a month)
3. Tractor has to handle Woods RM990 rear discharge mower and get near my house (4700 is smaller and lighter tractor)

I really wanted a 5310 but I am more than happy with the 4700's ability to do many different things. My neighbors have backhoes for larger work and a 5410 if mine is too small for a job. Lawn cutting is what it does 80% of the hours that it is used. It has been used to maintain the 38 acres I own plus a few side jobs for neighbors.

I have used the backhoe to dig ditches, the rear blade to cut the drains in a v-shape, and the rear blade/rake to smooth my 1200 ft of driveway. I also maintain my 12 acre motocross track with the loader, backhoe, and rear blade.

/ 4710 ABILITY #4  
I have debated this myself over past few months. I like the additional HP on any of the 5000 series machines, both engine and PTO...could also accept either eHydro or Power Reverser trannies. I've decided on 4710 for simple pragmatic reasons. I need a smaller machine to do numerous versatile functions including negotiating tight, winding logging trails...my intent is to open these up, keep them clean for cross country ski, hiking, etc. I also wanted a machine that could fit in my garage. 4710 can do this with the folding ROPS. 5000 series can't due to vertical exhaust hitting upper garage door jamb. The 5000 series are simply bigger machines and they may have less maneuverability if you're working in tight spaces.

On a functional basis, 4710 could likely do much the same things as the smaller 5000 series machines...bush hogging, box blading, snowplowing, etc. If you're not thinking of using it for big ag utilities such as tilling, baling hay, etc. then the 4710 would likely get you by just fine. If you are planning on getting into ag related utilities, then 5000 series might serve your purposes better. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Bob Ancar
Cambridge, NY

/ 4710 ABILITY #5  
As John asked, what work does the tractor have to do for YOU?

I bought my 4700 with a 4n1 460 FEL and a JD48 backhoe to clear
stumps up to 36 inches in diameter, maintain 1000 to 2000 feet of
gravel road, build driveways, clear/level house sites, clear septic
sites, cleanup after a timber operation by picking up/pushing timber
slash, oh yeah, doing some mowing. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I have dug hundreds of stumps. A good dozen or so over 36 inches in
diameter. This weekend I dug up 5 stumps ranging from 4 to 12 inches
in diameter in 22 minutes. A 36 inch monster oak took 3.5 hours. Stumps
of that size USUALLY take between 2 and 4 hours. I have had some with
VERY deep tap roots, over 7 feet long, take 8+ hours. But they were
unusual and difficult to get at.

Basically the 4700 and its attachments have done everything I have asked
and accomplished FAR more than I thought it could. Getting a 36+ inch
stump out of the hole is pushing the tractor's limits. The stump I got out
this weekend I was able to grab with my 4n1 bucket and lift out of the hole.
Sometimes I have to use chains. The FEL was able to ALMOST get the
stump off the ground but it wieghed to much. I had a 6 inch root dragging
on the ground. The FEL was at its limits. But with MFWD I was able to drive
backwards for 200 feet and put the stump in a burn pile.

Equipment like this is very much a time and money equation. What do you have
to do, what can you afford dollar wise, and how much time do you have.

For ME, the 4700 is the right mix. Once I'm done with my initial work I'll have
more tractor than I need to mow the edge of the road and trails as well as keeping
the road in shape. I'm sure I'll have other uses for the equipment but its paying
for itself right now. I figure by the end of this year, my second year of ownership
the tractor will have paid for itself in the work it has done.

Hope this helps...
Dan

/ 4710 ABILITY
<font color=blue>...JD48 backhoe to clear stumps up to 36 inches in diameter...</font color=blue>

Dan...

Have you seen the thread on using "forks" to dig out stumps...? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ 4710 ABILITY #7  
John,

Nope I have not seen the "fork" thread.

Did I just start the thread? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Someone on another thread referenced a contractor price guide.
The prices for getting rid of a large stump, they defined large as 16
inches or more, was about $250. I wish I was earning some cash
on these stumps.... [smiles]

I read an article that some company was using the wood from California
walnut tree stumps to build rifle stocks. Got me to wondering if they
wanted some NC oak stump wood! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I've got one heck of a deal
for them! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Later...
Dan

/ 4710 ABILITY
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=projects&Number=120670&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1>Using Front Mounted Forks for Stump Removal...</A>

Dan,

For some reason, everytime I hear of someone attempting to remove "stumps" ... I think of you and your many "zillion" times of doing it... I don't have a BH or Forks... but I know how time consuming it can be!

Even without owning this "proper equipment", I'm aware it does take some technique and time to do it... but this post is simply amazing with using 'forks"... actually hard to believe... but there's the pictures.... /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ 4710 ABILITY #9  
John,

Much has changed in the Projects area! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I have some reading catch
up to do over there.

I can't believe he got those stumps out with forks. But it looks like he
has sand and not my clay/rock.

Later...
Dan