John Deere 750

/ John Deere 750 #1  

steaksauce

I am new to the tractor world and need one to help me clear and landscape about 1 1/2 acres that is full of brush, sapplings and alders. I am looking at two JD 750's. (I own a JD 216 lawn tractor and that thing is a tank! So I am comfortable with JD.) Both are selling for just above $6000 and have FEL's. One has 5000 hours and the other supposedly has 2500. The higher hour tractor was said to have come from a golf course. Is 5000 hours a lot? The dealer said they just resealed the front axle, rebuilt the steering box, and repaired the linkage for the loader control valve. I have a natural aprehension to this one as I know how people tend to treat things that aren't their own, but I may be overreacting. It has turf tires too and I am a bit worried about traction in loose dirt and mud. A few people around here are familiar with the dealer and say he stands behind his stuff.

He also has a few grey markets and new Branson's and Mahindra's, but I am afraid they are a little too far out of my price range.

The 2500 hour tractor is at a large dealer and I don't know the history of it and am afraid they don't either.

I am very appreciative of any feedback.

Dan

/ John Deere 750 #2  
Any time you buy a used item (car, truck, wife), there is some risk.
The only thing I can advise is going for the lower hour tractor. That doesn't mean it's a better machine...but less hours might mean you've got more time before a rebuild of the engine or other drive line components.
Turf tires aren't the best choice for field work, but if that's what they've got...well, that's what you go with.

/ John Deere 750 #3  
Since its only 1 1/2 acres, maybe you could rent a similar machine with a brush mower, then stay on top of the landgrass with your 216. This would give you some time to sort out an even better deal with the tires, loader and hours that would make you comfortable.

/ John Deere 750 #4  
I think 5000 hours is quite a few on something as small as a 750. I would consider the other one.

Andy

/ John Deere 750 #5  
in all honesty i wouldn't consider either machine. a small CUT's lifespan usually is for 3,000+/- hours. one of the machines you mentioned is way passed that while the other is over halfway there. row crop tractors are usually safe to buy in these hour ranges, with most row crop tractors undergoing engine rebuilds between 5,000-8,000 hours. also consider these machines were used on a golf course, at least one was, the other ones use is unknown. not that golf course work is hard on a tractor, but generally the same person doesnt drive the tractor so its treated and driven differently by every operator. $6,000 for a 750(even with a loader) is too high in my opinion. i have a 950 with only 1,165 hours that i'd sell WITH a JD bush hog for that price(maybe even less) and i can promise my tractor has been kept up and is in better operating condition then these two. keep looking, the right tractor with the right hours in your budget will come along. you dont want to spend that kind of money and inherit problems trying to fix it up because in the end you could have bought a brand new machine. just some things to keep in mind while debating your decision.

/ John Deere 750 #6  
RollingsFarms said:
in all honesty i wouldn't consider either machine. a small CUT's lifespan usually is for 3,000+/- hours.

Why do you say that? What proof do you have that a small Deere would only go 3000 hours?
Remember, most small Deeres use Yanmar industrial or marine engines...and they are quite durable.

/ John Deere 750 #7  
RoyJackson said:
Why do you say that? What proof do you have that a small Deere would only go 3000 hours?
Remember, most small Deeres use Yanmar industrial or marine engines...and they are quite durable.

i guess i was misunderstould. i didnt mean that ALL small cut's would up and die at around 3,000 hours but on average thats the lifespan before the engine needs major overhaul. also, depending on the stress its used under, the frames are generally not as strong to withstand heavy abuse for that length of time as are ag utilitys and row crop tractors. i didnt mean the 750(or any other CUT) was a bad tractor, i think that model would be an excelent choice for his application. i just didnt see the logic in buying a machine with that many hours for that price when something for the same price with far less hours would turn up sooner or later. my 950 has a yanmar and runs really well, but im also aware that its not made for the heavy discing that i do and that i should be looking to step up to a larger utility tractor here in the future. john deere mechanics that ive talked to as well as the discussions on here have debated the lifespan average of the CUT.

/ John Deere 750
Alright guys, thanks for the info. Sounds like 5000 hours is a lot and none the less too much money. I will keep looking.

/ John Deere 750 #9  
steaksauce said:
Alright guys, thanks for the info. Sounds like 5000 hours is a lot and none the less too much money. I will keep looking.

i would just not want to see someone spend that kind of money and have to sink THAT much MORE money into it, in the end equaling the cost of a new machine. not saying that specific tractor you were interested in is a peice of junk, but i just personally think you can find a better deal on a much lower hour 750. heck, keep your eyes open for a 790 even. i've seen tons of those at great prices!!! if i could give you some personal advice, i would set my minimum of 600 hours on a used machine.

/ John Deere 750
Okay, thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it.