Wich JD for me?

/ Wich JD for me? #1  

myjohndeere

Tractor
Deere MY2012 5083E, Deere LT155
We just bought 220 acres of land for hunting and game production. we have a Massey Ferguson 65 diesel that we planned to get a FEL and ROPS for and use it for the small tasks around the land. It turns out this might be to expensive and/or impossible. We definitely need a loader. now we are considering getting a used JD with a loader. So my question, what model would be best. Ive been all over machinefinder and tractorhouse and I don't know what will work best. We would use the tractor for rough mowing, discing, removing fence, moving dirt, some planting, and clearing overgrown areas of brush. our budget is tight, under 15k and definitely under 25k.

/ Wich JD for me? #2  
A 2520 is about 15K and you would have room for attachments.
it sounds like it would do what you want to do.
you could go with a 3000 seris. from 3320 to 3720
but a 3720 wont leave you very much money for attachments.
but it has the most power. keep in mind if you will need to go
around and through trees , bigger is not always better.
i found this out...;)

Chris....:)

/ Wich JD for me? #3  
I think he might be looking for something much bigger Chris. I may be wrong. When I see 220 acres, I think having to shred or disc it.

Look at tractorhouse.com also look here at AG tractors section. Ask your neighbors or freinds who might know about tractors. I like 4WD with my loader but I'm spoiled. Most machines in your budget to fit your land will be 2WD. I'm thinking you might want between 65-100 HP depending on the type of cutter you want.

Its expensive to get into big land. Its expensive to get into late model big tractors too.

Now if your just trimming around the edges so to speak, you might just need a smaller utility tractor from 35-55 HP.

I could be more specific if I knew what type of loader dirt moving you are talking about.

/ Wich JD for me?
Kyle_in_Tex said:
I think he might be looking for something much bigger Chris. I may be wrong. When I see 220 acres, I think having to shred or disc it.

Look at tractorhouse.com also look here at AG tractors section. Ask your neighbors or freinds who might know about tractors. I like 4WD with my loader but I'm spoiled. Most machines in your budget to fit your land will be 2WD. I'm thinking you might want between 65-100 HP depending on the type of cutter you want.

Its expensive to get into big land. Its expensive to get into late model big tractors too.

Now if your just trimming around the edges so to speak, you might just need a smaller utility tractor from 35-55 HP.

I could be more specific if I knew what type of loader dirt moving you are talking about.

Kyle, not all of the land will be disc or shredded. most of it is in CRP so we cant do much to it. All we need is a CUT or utility tractor. as for the loader, we will be planting trees of varying sizes and filling in holes and ditches around the property along with removing trees and brush.
thanks

Also I found this website, it seems to good to be true!! Are the prices real????
John Deere Tractor Packages

/ Wich JD for me? #5  
myjohndeere said:
We just bought 220 acres of land for hunting and game production. we have a Massey Ferguson 65 diesel that we planned to get a FEL and ROPS for and use it for the small tasks around the land. It turns out this might be to expensive and/or impossible. We definitely need a loader. now we are considering getting a used JD with a loader. So my question, what model would be best. Ive been all over machinefinder and tractorhouse and I don't know what will work best. We would use the tractor for rough mowing, discing, removing fence, moving dirt, some planting, and clearing overgrown areas of brush. our budget is tight, under 15k and definitely under 25k.
How much of the 220 acres would you be working?

Hunting around here usually means - not being worked for crops, etc.

I think you are looking at a used tractor for sure.

Do you need 4wd?

Maybe a 5403 or something along those lines.

D.

/ Wich JD for me? #6  
Well , what i was looking at was the money . he is limited
as what to work with.:confused: sure there is much bigger and more Expensive.
but if its hunting land. most of it will stay woods. and its kinda hard to drive
a 5 or 6000 seris through the woods. with out cutting a path the size of a
tractor trailer truck..:D maybe i did not really understand what he was trying to do....;)

Chris...:)

/ Wich JD for me?
Yes i would prefer a used tractor. and 4WD is a must as the land in some of the drainage areas is wet and muddy. and the only kind of crops will be on food plots. nothing requiring large equipment.

/ Wich JD for me? #8  
I would guess an older JD utility tractor with MFWD and R1 tires. JD 5300, 5400 etc. I have a 1995 Jd 5300 MFWD with FEL. Good sized tractor with enough weight and traction for your tasks. In good shape, those will cost 15K-17K. They will go through the mud. We use it to pull our pivots out when they get stuck in low spots. Should be able to pull 12' disk, which are cheap to buy on farm sales. Loader will lift 2500 lbs and will pull most posts with the exception of bigger hedge posts. Can handle a 6-8 foot brush mower. 6' tiller will just cover the tires.

/ Wich JD for me? #9  
We make a loader to fit that Massey 65 - Three to choose from - WL-21, WL-27 and WL-42. This loader series was developed when this was a new tractor, it is a front push style mount. Simple brackets (see photo). No need to buy a new tractor if what you have is running well. This series of loaders has over 3000 fits so when you are ready to move to another tractor, you can keep the loader. I didn't have time to go throught the hard copy photo archive to find the exact photo - I had these on my computer and they are very close to how it will fit. Make SURE you add a ROPS to that tractor if you add a loader.

Attachments

• MF-WL-21.jpg
    MF-WL-21.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 236
  • MF-brackets.jpg
    MF-brackets.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 194
   / Wich JD for me?
Westendorf-RR said:
We make a loader to fit that Massey 65 - Three to choose from - WL-21, WL-27 and WL-42. This loader series was developed when this was a new tractor, it is a front push style mount. Simple brackets (see photo). No need to buy a new tractor if what you have is running well. This series of loaders has over 3000 fits so when you are ready to move to another tractor, you can keep the loader. I didn't have time to go throught the hard copy photo archive to find the exact photo - I had these on my computer and they are very close to how it will fit. Make SURE you add a ROPS to that tractor if you add a loader.

what is the cost of one of these loaders and brackets? are the valves and hoseing included? the MF65 will require another hyd. pump for the loader, is it included by chance? the tractor is worth 5k-6k and we dont want to spend more than the value of the tractor on a loader and ROPS. thats why im interesteed in finding a used jd with loader included.