Trading in Orange L3830 for Green 4720

/ Trading in Orange L3830 for Green 4720 #1  

Engine66

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2305 & 4720/400cx/BH448
Some of you recently helped me buy a 2305 earlier this year and it has been one heck of a little machine in many ways. Part of my "fleet" includes a Kubota L3830 HST w/BH90. I have decided to trade it in for a JD4720.

Unfortunately, despite an easy life, my Kubota has not been very reliable. With only 114 hours on it, I have had a complete failure of HST repaired under warranty for over $3k, rear 3ph valve replaced due to repeated cycling (caused by debris in hydraulics from the HST repair), and frozen loader valve replaced (out of warranty) for over $400. The HST failure was not due to abuse or over heating...just doing some simple light-duty grading and began noticing shiny fluid on ground. I hopped off, and saw hydro fluid leaking underneath. Anyway, long story short, I was fatigued with having a dealer come out and charging me $75/hour for driving time and each way is 2 hours and having to wait until "they were in my area" weeks later. Every repair was a hassle. Making matters worse is my property is very hilly with a ridge and I was always in low range on any incline. Loader was great, except for stalling on heavy loads. I am not trashing Kubota, but my personal experience was unpleasant and costly...and reliability/warranty did not live up to expectations. Immediately after buying Kubota, I asked dealer for trade up to a larger L for more HP, but they never got back to me...oh well.

After having the 2305, I really liked everything about it...no complaints...so decided to look into another JD to replace Kubota. My local JD dealer evaluated my Kubota, offered $24,200 trade in value and I decided after reading every post imaginable on 3x20 vs 4x20, I decided to go for broke and order a 4720. I probably won't use full potential of this model, but I have real need for ground clearance, hill climbing, working in woods with Farmi winch, bush-hogging, etc. I don't think my price on the deal is as sweet as others, but in the long run, it may well be worth it.

4720 ehydro
400cx w/73 HD bucket
telescoping links
power beyond
3rd SCV
front & rear worklight kit
deluxe brush guard (need it...I broke a Kubota headlight making a brush pile)
automotive cruise/motion match upgrade
JD canopy
armrest kit (why not)
block heater
R1s...need the traction
$33k even (no tax)

Having applied on Oct 26, I was able to get 0% @ 36 months.

My dealer is close, will come out for 3 year warranty, provide great service, etc. I was not impressed with Kubota warranty. I am giving up my BH, but that had already paid for itself with several projects I completed with foundation work on a couple room additions and some rock-work. I will say the BH90 was is a great backhoe...smooth controls, fairly easy to take on/off...as long as the pins line up! I may buy another BH in future...we'll see.

Anyone have any input on 4720...reliable? Worth the extra $$$. I don't want to waste money, but then again there's nothing worse than wishing after the fact for more HP. Before I do it, I am open to input/advice and appreciate the previous posters who helped me buy the 2305...thanks.

/ Trading in Orange L3830 for Green 4720 #2  
I always get a kick out posts that ask if a tractor is good AFTER they've already bought them. :) (Or is the order not yet signed?)

Anyway, I think the 4720 is quite solid and has more hp than can realistically be used in its frame size. Should be a nice step up from the L3830, and of course dealer service makes a huge difference in the "quality of the machine" itself. Personally I think the 4720 hp is only needed with the cab model, and with a ROPS model I think the 4520 would be all you need. However, I haven't owned either one, so take this with a huge grain of salt. Anyway, good luck!

/ Trading in Orange L3830 for Green 4720
Order is not complete yet. I actually have some time to make a final decision on several quotes for various models from the 3x20s to 4x20s. The time to act is limited though, because JD has changed their financing program. 0% at 36 months is not offered at this time, but because I applied for credit on the 26th...I can get that rate. That rate saves thousands on a large deal.

I read numerous threads on the 3 vs 4 series, Yanmar vs PowerTech, all specs, etc. and thought about going with the 4720...it fits the budget, but can't say if it's worth the budget. Unfortunately, I have not been able to look at or sit on a 4x20 because 2 different dealers do not have them...not even in the shop. I do like the 3x20 too...very nice. Anyway, thought I would post my deal here and see if anyone had some last minute input or advice. Not too proud to reverse course or consider a change. Thanks.

/ Trading in Orange L3830 for Green 4720 #4  
Very interesting reading about your experiences.

Have you researched Blue or Red tractors if there are any dealers in your area?

/ Trading in Orange L3830 for Green 4720 #5  
I think you got a good deal on the setup, I also agree that size tractor vs. that hp you will never see full potential. as they say, you always wish for more hp, never for less.

/ Trading in Orange L3830 for Green 4720 #6  
Sounds like you might want to inquire about the underneath armor kit.

/ Trading in Orange L3830 for Green 4720 #7  
There is no armor kit sold by Deere but I would recomemnd having one built for it. I have 400 hrs on my 4720 and love it. Mine is set up for HD use with belly pan and FOPS. Let me know if you have any questions.

/ Trading in Orange L3830 for Green 4720 #8  
In complete agreement with ZMichigan - there is no need to go with the 4720 - save yourself a few bucks and get a 4520... :D

/ Trading in Orange L3830 for Green 4720 #9  
Only 120 hours on my 4520 doing various farm chores (brush hogging, cutting/raking hay, brush and small tree clearing, FEL work, etc) and I'm quite pleased. Reliability has been good. Mine is not a cab, and I have to agree with the previous posts that, in general, I lose traction long before I lose power. I expect that I will only seriously tax the HP capabilities of my 4520 is when I load it for weight and hook up a square baler (which I haven't done yet, the baler is in the budget for next year).

Chet

/ Trading in Orange L3830 for Green 4720 #10  
Welcome to the green team and don't look back.

I can say that I lose traction in my 4320 long before I run out of power. But, I have R4's so I'm not a good judge. I would consider analyzing the cost between the models, needs of your implements and going with what you think is right, instead of just going with the 4720.