Frontier Pallet Forks

/ Frontier Pallet Forks #1  

Engine66

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2305 & 4720/400cx/BH448
I'm interested in getting Frontier pallet forks and having trouble with JD build site. I found them, but according to Frontier, there are 2 types..fixed and floating. The small pic on the JD site appears to show the floating type that slide on a round rail and unattached at the base. If anyone knows the part number for the fixed style which are fixed at both top and bottom, please share. Checkout the article on these 2 types of Frontier pallet forks... New Frontier Tractor Attachments | Ag Equipment Power Magazine Thanks!

/ Frontier Pallet Forks #2  
Floating will make your life much easier when you have different size pallets, or other stuff. I bought the John Deere ones for my 4720. They didn't have the Frontier ones out yet. I use mine quite often.

D.

/ Frontier Pallet Forks #3  
I just called my dealer this past week and asked about these. They told me they were $900 and I believe that was for the fixed mount ones.

I know that Frontier is the best, but there are a couple models on Ebay that I have been looking at with floating forks and much cheaper.

Tractor Pallet Fork for 3-point or Loader Arm Equipment - (eBay item 280167737935 end time Nov-04-07 16:00:00 PST)

LOADER PALLET FORKS & FRAME FOR JOHN DEERE TRACTOR - (eBay item 130168275331 end time Nov-04-07 17:29:04 PST)

/ Frontier Pallet Forks #4  
I have the fixed tine Frontier forks. The part number shown on my sales sheet is AL1240F, however, the owner's manual shows two different part numbers: AL1242F for 42 inch forks and AL1248F for 48 inch forks.

The price I paid in July 2007 on these was $740.

They are heavy, seem well built to me.

Runner

/ Frontier Pallet Forks
Thanks for the info guys. I looked at the ebay forks...nice. They look well built. I am curious about the Frontier FEL pallet fork part #s. I saw the part numbers Runner gave and have the sheet downloaded. A couple questions:

1) Does the self-leveleing feature of the FEL interfere with being able to keep the forks tilted holding a load?
2) Do the floating style forks allow for downward tilting so the fork tines can be used to dig into a brush pile, logs, etc. or do they swing out?

I know that with 2 styles, there are good reasons for both. Just want to make sure I get the right ones for my needs. I don't plan on using a variety of pallets, but rather using them to pick a variety of stuff up. I did read a post about someone who had forks that were attached to a round tube rail/shaft at the top...easy to slide back and forth for different sized pallets, but not great for CUT work and driving around on uneven terrain. I wish the Frontier site was a little more specific about this matter.

Thanks again for any info and if my dealer can shed some light on this, I will post as well.

/ Frontier Pallet Forks #6  
Tororider said:
but he may have more fun than the guy with less toys, hehe]
I like that! Did you make that up??
larry​

/ Frontier Pallet Forks #7  
I have the fixed rail forks. i like them better than the floating cause i can get under logs and such. thay have many uses. you will enjoy them
very much...;)

Chris....:)

/ Frontier Pallet Forks #8  
I've bought floating forks from JD but I don't know if it's Frontier as there was no owners manual.
If you get floating forks you might have problems, as I did, moving the forks due corrosion on the slider bar. By there's and easy fix.
Get the corrosion off with a coarse grade emery paper and then liberally apply lithium grease. When moving the forks lift the tip with one hand and push the fork with your belly and other hand.

/ Frontier Pallet Forks #9  
Don't know about the self-leveling feature, as I have the 200CX loader. My guess would be there must be some way to override that feature or turn it off to make it do what you want.

Yes, the forks are fixed at the back in two places so they don't pivot (they just slide back and forth) and have a locking mechanism to keep them from sliding. When you tilt the fork frame down, the forks tilt down with it.

I bought the fixed tine forks for the same reason you are thinking about it: I figured that if I was only moving pallets, the floating tine would be better, but I'm planning on using them for other things (for instance, I am making up a trailer hitch/chain-hook platform that will attach to the forks), the fixed would be the way to go. Also, I thought I might use them for things like rock-picking and maybe even digging up stumps, etc., in which case the floating tine forks wouldn't work.

/ Frontier Pallet Forks #10  
SPYDERLK said:
I like that! Did you make that up??
larry​

Yeah, it started with just the beginning and then I figured with this audience adding that last part might be more appropriate.

With regards to the floating forks, I would think there would have to be a way that you could come up with to fasten the forks at the bottom when needed. That way you could have the floating forks, but also be able to lock them so that you could dig into your brush piles or whatever. I am sure someone can come up with something.