Tire Sizes -4310 option

/ Tire Sizes -4310 option #11  
JC4HD is right on the package cost if you buy the wheels as part of a new tractor. If you want to retrofit an existing setup the tire and wheel combo costs $1,100 for the rears and $400 for the fronts. Trading in your existing wheels can of course reduce this cost. My dealer gave me a price of 50% off the new wheels with the trade in of my old wheels. Well worth the money to me if it helps keep the tractor on top of the soft ground on my land. You will have to work out a deal with your local dealer on a cost to upgrade your tractor. You may be able to get a better price if your dealer has someone who is looking for your old wheels. Hop this helps.

/ Tire Sizes -4310 option #12  
Can someone tell me if the bigger tires add more or less stabilityon hills? Also, does the increased flotation decrease or increase traction for snow plowing etc?

/ Tire Sizes -4310 option #13  
My new tires have not come in yet so I cannot give you an answer based on real data. I will try to provide an answer once I have them mounted up and get a little seat time with them. They should be showing up any day now.

/ Tire Sizes -4310 option #14  
I just got my new R-4s mounted on the tractor last week./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Here is a list of measurements I took from my tractor with both sets of tires. Hopefully this info will be useful to anyone out there contemplating an upgrade from their existing wheels and tires, or anyone trying to decide between the two R-4 tire sizes available from John Deere. The inflation pressure was 20PSI in the fronts and 13PSI in the rears for both sets of tires. All dimensions are in inches.

.............................................Old Tires.........................New Tires
.....................................Front...............Rear..........Front.............Rear
Nominal Size...................25x8.50-141....15x19.5......27x8.50-15......43x16.00-20
Track width (OS to OS)....52.25..............59.00.........52.75.............59.75
Tire Diameter..................25.00..............40.00.........26.75.............43.75
Tread Width....................7.75...............13.00.........8.25...............13.50
Tire Width.......................7.75...............15.25.........8.75...............16.00
Chassis Height.................11.75..............9.88..........12.88..............12.00

As you can see from the table, the new tires increase ground clearance by over two inches in the back and just over an inch in the front. The new tires are also slightly wider than the old tires. On the downside, despite what the JD configurator indicates, the new R-4s are 4 ply tires unlike the old ones that were 6 ply./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif If you are going to be running on some really rough terrain you might be better off with the 6 ply tires. The new tires are compatible with the 60 inch mid mower on my 4300 with a slight adjustment to the rear anti-scalp wheels. I should have some pictures to post on Monday. Would I buy them again? You bet./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Tire Sizes -4310 option #15  
Maybe you could let us know if it also effects your gearing and speeds very much.

/ Tire Sizes -4310 option #16  
The change in tire size results in about a 10% increase in ground speed in each gear. Since I have a hydrostatic transmission I don't notice the difference at all. I mow in B range and I just don't push the pedal down as far to get the desired ground speed. I have run it in 4wd and the lead ratio for the front wheels seems to be the same as it was with the old tires. I do not have any difficulty in shifting in or out of 4wd due to drive line windup. As promised here are some pictures with the new tires.

Attachments

• 9-147686-LeftFrontSmall.jpg
    9-147686-LeftFrontSmall.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 185
   / Tire Sizes -4310 option #17  
Another...

Attachments

• 9-147687-RightRearSmall.jpg
    9-147687-RightRearSmall.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 179
   / Tire Sizes -4310 option #18  
Here is a shot of the mower deck in the fully lifted position showing the "adjustment" I needed to make to the rear anti-scalp wheel to clear the rear wheel. I could have also re-adjusted the lift links so that the deck would not lift as high and not needed the trimming. Since my main goal in getting these new tires was to gain ground clearance I decided to trim the bracket and allow the deck to be lifted fully.

Attachments

• 9-147688-MowerdeckupSmall.jpg
    9-147688-MowerdeckupSmall.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 176
   / Tire Sizes -4310 option #19  
The new rear wheels do not have the valve stem guards that my old rims had. They do, however, have these really short brass valve stems. I think that they are far enough out of the way to avoid most brush and debris.

Attachments

• 9-147692-RearvalvestemSmall.jpg
    9-147692-RearvalvestemSmall.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 150
   / Tire Sizes -4310 option #20  
There might still be room for rear chains with the new tires. With the rear wheels in the wider position I have about 2 inches of clear space between the tire sidewall and the fender. The narrow position would be about an inch closer to the fender.

Attachments

• 9-147698-TiretofenderSmall.jpg
    9-147698-TiretofenderSmall.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 156