Trading TC40DA for John Deere 4720

/ Trading TC40DA for John Deere 4720 #1  

TCowner

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4720 Cab
Barring some disaster between now and Monday morning I plan on ordering a JD 4720 E-hydro, Curtis Cab and a 400X loader. My local Minnesota dealers weren't as fond of my New HOlland as a couple of dealers in Wisconsin were. I will have to drive a bit to get it but the price difference is worth it.

My TC40DA has 230 hours, Super Steer and the 17LA loader and is in pristine condition. What disappoints me the most is that the local dealer that I've purchased 5 different garden tractors, including my current X595, a couple of Gators, an 855, 4300 and a 4400 over the past 15 years along with all of the parts and service, coats, weedtrimmers, you name it, offered me the least on trade.

As I said, I plan on ordering it MOnday morning. I've maxed out my tractor budget with what I plan on ordering. Consequently, I'm ordering the Curtis cab with the soft doors rather than the hard doors which saves about a grand. I was thinking earlier today that if I dropped down to a 4520 I could add the hard doors back in.

SO my question for you folks, any chance I would miss the extra hp of the 4720. THe main reason I'm trading the New Holland is that is just doesn't seem to have the power of Deere. I tried a 4120 which is rated about the same as my TC and the Deere just seemed to have more. I would seriously consider staying with the New Holland if they offered more power, hydraulic capacity, etc in a hydro package. Unfortunately, they don't.

/ Trading TC40DA for John Deere 4720 #2  
You are going to get a lot of posts advising you to get the 400CX rather than the 400X loader but I have the 400X on my 4120 and I like it. Do get the heavy duty bucket, however. I primarily use my non-cab, gear, 4120 on a 6 ft rotary mower and the tractor has more than enough power in any field conditions. A cab, hydro 4520 would put aproximately the same power to the pto while the AC is running because the AC takes significant power and the hydro is less efficient. I think the 4520 hard cab would be the better option, as the 4720 really has more power than can be utilized effectively in that frame size even with hydro and AC. The 4720 is way out of the TC40DA's league, even the 4120 is a closer match to the TC45.

/ Trading TC40DA for John Deere 4720
I was offered a really sweet deal from the same dealer on a 4320 with a factory cab with AC. I would love having the factor cab but I have around two thousand trees I am thinning and have to work in around the trees. I worry about the damage I would do to the cab as well as the inability to get into the tight places. The Curtis cab is an add on cab which I would take off in the Spring. It does not have AC. I have the Curtis cab on my New Holland and it offers pretty good protection but is a little noisy.

I'm not sure why New Holland doesn't offer a 45-50 pto hp tractor with a hydro. If they did, and bumped up the hydraulic/loader lifting capacity, I would not have a problem staying with New Holland.

/ Trading TC40DA for John Deere 4720 #4  
TCowner said:
I'm not sure why New Holland doesn't offer a 45-50 pto hp tractor with a hydro. If they did, and bumped up the hydraulic/loader lifting capacity, I would not have a problem staying with New Holland.

I don't know why NH doesn't expand their line a little more. Their new series of Boomers sure seems lackluster compared to the broad steps Deere has taken with their innovations. With the introduction of the basic TT series of tractors and several others in the Boomer line that are stripped down models, it appears NH wants to capture the low-budget market more than to innovate and keep competing on the leading edge with Deere.

Don't forget us in the NH forums. Be sure to let us know what you think of your new Deere. I'm sorry you had to go so far to work out a deal. It's really too bad your local dealer wouldn't give you a little more for your tractor. I'd sure be tempted to try and sell the TC myself and then buy the new tractor outright.

Jim, I will keep in touch. Your right, NH just seems a little behind in developing new products. THey were the last one with a factory cab although I think they did a great job on it, but still two years after Deere and about 5 after Kubota. THe class III NH is really the same tractor that has been in production for what, 6 years. THe only real change has been the headlight design with DA series and a mounting improvement on the new loaders. I don't understand why.

New HOlland builds excellent tractors in the larger sizes. Its hard to imagine that another 10-15 hp engine doesn't exist in their arsenal. But equally important is the need to upgrade the hydraulic capablities. I think you posted a few years ago that on the Class III Boomer the hydro relief pressure is exactly the same for the three tractors. So with respect to drawbar performance, or loader performance in a dirt pile for example, their is no real advantage of the 45 over the 35. I suppose the same could be said for the 4000 series Deere as the hydraulics are exactly the same on all four tractors. I just know that on the 4120 I tried a ran out of traction well before I ran out of power. ON my 40DA the engine will stall in a dirt pile unless I am in low range in the turtle position.

I know there are some features of the DA that I will miss. I love the Supersteer feature when the loader is off. Nothing beats that tight turning radius and the autotrac feature that disables the 4WD when turning is great. When its on, well I usally like it although there have been times I curse it. The loader moving in the opposite direction of the steering turn still gets me even after 930 hours on the three Class III's I've owned.

The Boomer still has the best visibiity from the operators seat although I think the Deere is getting a little closer. The rear mounted fuel tank is a plus. I'm not a fan of dribbling diesel fuel on hood, console, etc. Engine noise is an issue as well. THe John Deere Powertech is noisy and the diesel rattle is big. It seems to get a little better as the engine warms but hearing proctection is probably a must. The TC is actually pretty quiet. Performing light duty job with rpm up to about 1900 or so is quite pleasant.

So we will see. Perhaps a year from now I will be wondering what the heck did I do. WIth the exception of the injection timing issue on the first DA the three tractors have been flawless. So for that NH deserves a lot of credit. If someone asked me I would not hesitate for a minute to recommend a New HOlland DA.

/ Trading TC40DA for John Deere 4720 #6  
I'm still curious. If you love the supersteer and the visibility of the TC what does the Deere have that makes you switch? You also state that the Deere engine makes a lot more noise.

Andy

/ Trading TC40DA for John Deere 4720 #7  
Andy, I think he's looking for more HP but still keep the Hydrostat. Still the big issue with NH is 45 HP is as high as you can go and still get a hydro. Deere and KB go up to 57+ HP or so these days. Hydro doesn't matter as much to me, so I'm looking at the new 2400 series and we'll see how they compare.

Andy, It justs comes down to the my particular need for more drawbar pull/push and more hydraulic capacity/loader performance in a tractor with a hydrostatic transmission. I have to think that New Holland dealers are asking for the same thing.

/ Trading TC40DA for John Deere 4720 #9  
I would buy a slightly used John Deere with a Factory Cab, and carry some clippers with me. Before long, all your passages will be able to pass with a Cab Tractor. That's just me though. For the little extra work clipping as you come upon low limbs is worth having the factory cab. They are nice and tight, very clean, look elegant, not campy like a curtis....and very quiet to sit in.

/ Trading TC40DA for John Deere 4720 #10  
I got rid of my TC 35 hyrdo for a 4720 and glad I did. Were you live I would get the 4520 cab. I really do not think you would miss the 5 pto hp or the 15lbs of torque. In 2005 the cab was not available yet nor would it work well in our woods. The really only think I miss is the quiteness of the TC and the rabbit -turtle feature.
Post some pictures.